Image Map Image Map

Thread: Could really use some guidance on fixing the space bar of my original Compaq Portable

Default Could really use some guidance on fixing the space bar of my original Compaq Portable

As noted in this short (~90 second) video, I'm continuing to work on this gorgeous, fully-functional (or almost-fully-functional) original Compaq Portable. I've painstakingly replaced every one of the long-decayed capacitive foam pads that rest under each key, and now the keyboard is working great... except for the space bar, which feels 'mushy' and either fails to register, or registers endless presses.

I was careful to ensure that the correct spring went back under the space bar, but I'm just not sure what else I can/should do to get it working. Any tips or suggestions would be welcome!

Quick update: I’ve taken the keyboard apart again, and even after (carefully!) replacing the foam pad for the space bar, this one pad seems to “ride higher” than any other pad on the whole thing - see this pic. Maybe this is the issue? All the other pads sorta 'retract' into their housing when their respective key isn't being pressed, but the pad for the space bar is even (or slightly protruding) with the housing. Does anyone have a good pic of the pad in their own Compaq Portable I could use for reference?

Another quick update: It's starting to drive me insane - I *feel* like I'm 99% of the way to a working spacebar, but something just isn't quite right here. Here's a quick ~1min video explaining what the current issue looks like - I would be super grateful for any guidance here!

Blog Entries

Most keyboard space bars have a wire/rod that serves as an equalizer, so that no matter where the space bar is pressed, the "feel" is the same. Have you misplaced the equalizer on yours?

UPDATE: MY AMAZING GENIUS WIFE FIXED IT!! She noticed that every time I was replacing the spacebar, the tiny plastic “fork” that holds the bar in place weren’t fully “grabbing” the white carriage that rides up and down. A little push with tweezers and PRESTO it’s working now!!!!!

That's the best ending for this, glad that you got it sorted.