Image Map Image Map

Thread: Tektronix 4010

Cool Tektronix 4010

Last week I've picked up some nice old pieces of history. One of them was the Tektronix 4010.

Tektronix 4010 01.jpg

Because it has collected dirt for 46 years, I first cleaned thoroughly.

Tektronix 4010 02.jpg Tektronix 4010 03.jpg Tektronix 4010 04.jpg Tektronix 4010 05.jpg Tektronix 4010 06.jpg

And I don't want to sit on my knees when servicing this kind of electronics.
    But now I bumped my head several times against the bottom of the terminal.

Tektronix 4010 07.jpg

Slowly powered it up. A bridge rectifier already got quite warm with only 40V mains voltage (set at 220V mains).
    And there was one fuse of 8A where a 2A fuse should be. Well, it really does not trip when it is necessary.
    The cause of the hot bridge rectifier was in a shorted tantalum capacitor on the -15V supply line on one of the boards.

After some further measurements, the + 20V showed enormous ripple voltage. This was caused by a
    dead filter capacitor. And what a worthless construction to get that cap out! So I thought
    let me put that spare power in there which I got with it. It might save some time is that one works.
    Unfortunately the 5V TTL power supply was faulty on that one. So I had two broken power supplies.

So I repaired the original power supply. Slowly turned up the mains voltage again
    and POOF, there went that -20V fuse again! Now on another board a tantalum on
    the -15V shorted. It remains old stuff of course

Tektronix 4010 10.jpg Tektronix 4010 11.jpg Tektronix 4010 08.jpg Tektronix 4010 09.jpg

And I put everything back together again...

Tektronix 4010 12.jpg Tektronix 4010 13.jpg

So meanwhile it is running DIR on PDP8 / F:

Now it would be nice to throw some graphics data to it.

Regards, Roland
    WTB: Case for Altair 8800 ...... Rolands Github projects

Roland,

Nice find !

on ftp://ftp.dreesen.ch/TEk4014 you wil find plt.tar, which contains a lot of graphic demos for the 4014. Just send them down the serial port .
    I believe they would also run on the 4010

Jos

Hi Jos,

Thanks, I will check it out!

The data cable is a bit messy. Only gnd, rx and tx are connected trough an old mains cable.
    So I want to make it original again, but I can't find the cable pinout in the manual.
    And I can't find this data communication card in the manual... It seems to be pretty old.
    All chips date from 1971...

Tektronix 4010 14.jpg

Regards, Roland

Roland,

That was quick repair work on your 4010!

Now its time to start on your 4052

Please post a photo of the rear of your 4052 - I'm particularly interested seeing that 4-slot backpack, and any label on the back indicating any other factory options.

Congratulations on your 4010 repair!

Monty

Hi Monty,

Quote Originally Posted by nikola-wan View Post
    Now its time to start on your 4052 Please post a photo of the rear of your 4052 -
    I'm particularly interested seeing that 4-slot backpack, and any label on the back indicating any other factory options.
    I will make a new topic for the 4052 and post some pictures from it.
    I've made a lot of pictures of my 4010 and sent them to Kurt for the Tek WiKi.
    Maybe he likes to place them there. My 605 and 611 are displayed there too...

Quote Originally Posted by nikola-wan View Post
    Congratulations on your 4010 repair!
    Thanks! In the meanwhile I found the part number for the Tektronix 4010 data cable.
    Searching on that number lead to another document which describes
    the serial data board and cable. So that is fixed as well...

Too bad that there are so few serial port settings on the board.

Regards, Roland

The communications is an option so its in a separate manual
    http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/tektron...comm_Aug81.pdf
    Mine had the same card and I have the official cable if the manual isn't clear.

My 4014 had the same shorted tantalum capacitors.

From when I was playing with them I think some of the files in the tar file are 4014 specific but a number should work fine on the 4010.

Quote Originally Posted by djg View Post
    The communications is an option so its in a separate manual
    http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/tektron...comm_Aug81.pdf
    Mine had the same card and I have the official cable if the manual isn't clear.

My 4014 had the same shorted tantalum capacitors.

From when I was playing with them I think some of the files in the tar file are 4014 specific but a number should work fine on the 4010.
    That was the manual I found later indeed. The cable is now back to the original wiring scheme.
    I will check out the plot files!