Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Basic

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

I'm not reading you exactly, but I believe to a high degree it can compile qb sources. It likely has it's own ide, I presume. This seems to be a latwr version or a later repackage of Hisoft BASIC, which also was given away in some form with magazines. It's probably well worth the price. I really want an Atari ST C compiler though. Or Pascal. Oh and assembler. Assembler on a 68k must be pure joy.

It's called First Basic for a reason. As the slim manual states, Power Basic and Highsoft Basic give much more control over the compilation process, can compile to disk, and habe libraries. You get what you pay for.

In the good old days we used GfA Basic on the ST/STE and later on the TT. It was very fast, editor was also very fast and it compiled into nice standalone programs if needed.
    No line numbers so no spaghetti code but (foldable) functions, procedures (callable by name only), parameters etc. You could 'INLINE' assembled code and/or (Degas) pictures and whatnot.

So you have no experience with, never heard of, or just don't care about Hisoft/First Basic Gertk?

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    So you have no experience with, never heard of, or just don't care about Hisoft/First Basic Gertk?
    Well, yes we have tried the supplied Basic with the 260ST (was that FirST Basic?) and was disappointed by the cumbersome interface (especially on 320x200)
    Coming from the 8-bit series the whole windowy thing was just in the way

We tried some alternatives but ended up with GfA Basic (+ compiler) and some assembly.

This is not what was supplied with the computer. It's a third party product. It uses Quick Basic syntex, or at least recognizes it.