Image Map Image Map

Thread: Can't get into an Old Toshiba Satellite 2545XCDT

Default Can't get into an Old Toshiba Satellite 2545XCDT

Hi,

I inherited an old Toshiba 2545XCDT Laptop Computer with an AMD processor (don't know the speed) running Windows 98 (dunno the version). I think the laptop was originally bought in 1998.
    The thing was totally dead and would only show some signs of life with the power supply, so I bought a new (referb) battery for it and started it up, or at least tried to.
    When I switch it on I briefly see the Toshiba splash screen and then the screen goes black and text appears asking for a password.
    I haven't got a clue what this password might be and my uncle whom I inherited it from, took it to the grave with him.
    It looks to me that this happens before the computer start reading the floppy or hard drive.

My question is, is there a way to bypass this and go straight into some kind of BIOS set-up screen via a key press on switch-on/start-up?

His widow wants to see if there are images. etc on it.

Any help greatly appreciated

Thank you

Rob (tulip0852)

Blog Entries

It might be easier (for some value of "easy") to take out the drive, put it into a PATA to usb adapter / docking with external power and read it on a modern computer.
    If you do this, make an image of the drive, then work on the image. The standard drive in those Toshiba's are 4.3GB, so you should have plenty of space on modern storage devices.
    Torfinn

Quote Originally Posted by tingo View Post
    It might be easier (for some value of "easy") to take out the drive, put it into a PATA to usb adapter / docking with external power and read it on a modern computer.
    If you do this, make an image of the drive, then work on the image. The standard drive in those Toshiba's are 4.3GB, so you should have plenty of space on modern storage devices.
    Thanks very much Tingo. I've come to that realisation too.

Cheers and thanks again.

Rob (tulip0852)

Late to the party.

From http://minuszerodegrees.net/bios_pas...0Passwords.htm

1. "Most Toshiba laptops and some desktop systems will bypass the BIOS password if the left shift key is held down during boot."

2. Some known 'master' passwords for Toshiba computers:
    24Banc81
    Toshiba
    toshy99