Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very old and huge floppy dirver

Default Very old and huge floppy dirver

Hello. I am new here. You have a really nice Forum!

I have found this huge floppy disk drive. Is huge and very heavy. I send you some pictures.

I have looked up in the internet but I have couldnīt find anything. Do you have any idea of the name,model or year?

Sorry if I post in the wrong forum, I have tought it was the right one

Thank you.

Kind regards

Looks like a single full height 5.25" floppy drive in a portable (lugable) carry case and for a Bosch (German company) computer of some sort. It also appears to need TLC with the power cord cut off and may very well be for 220/240VAC if made for Europe.
    Crazy old guy with a basement full of Pentium 1 laptops and parts

Blog Entries

It may be a complete computer. It looks to have only a small serial port in addition to the power cord which would fit with a system designed to work with a terminal or specialized hardware. I would expect an external floppy drive to have a connector with 30 to 50 pins or some other high speed interface.

Open it up and there should be a complete board or boards under the drive bays.

Sorry, I duplicate the post.

Tomorrow Iīm going to open and take pictures, but I think is for 3,5"

The heat sink on the back is more that would be used for a single drive by itself. There is likely some kind of computer inside. It may be intended as a reference drive for special purposes, wih the lock on the front to keep it from getting contaminated or such.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Is that red thing on the front a cap over another connector for a video terminal or a big button.

It sort of reminds me of a PLC programming unit that you took out on plant to reload systems.
    Current fleet
    TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - VAX 3100,3300,4000VLC & 4000 Model 96 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - DEC Micro PDP 11/73 - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10.

Blog Entries

same unit for sale here

https://translate.google.com/transla...search&pto=aue

States its part of an engine tester.

floppy.jpg $_57.jpg

Looks like a SBC on top with a drive controller at the bottom with a PSU on the back.

Haven't found any reference on the bosch sites, the old kit has a similar style of boxes.

Untitled.jpg

The PDR100 is a printer but main unit even has the same big power button.
    Last edited by Gary C; July 13th, 2020 at 02:36 AM.
    Current fleet
    TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - VAX 3100,3300,4000VLC & 4000 Model 96 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - DEC Micro PDP 11/73 - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10.

How about a picture of the board on top?
    Dwight

One wonders if maybe it is a print buffer.
    Dwight

It is part of an automotive testsystem, in German 'Motortester' aka an engine test system.