Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Using this site on vintage computers

  1. #1

    Question Using this site on vintage computers

    I use somewhat old hardware (late 1990s) for daily use. I joined this forum recently and realized just how perfect a site this is for old hardware. I even managed to get here under Windows 3.1! I'm wondering if any of y'all also like accessing this forum through vintage computer hardware?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    554
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alabamarebel1861 View Post
    I use somewhat old hardware (late 1990s) for daily use. I joined this forum recently and realized just how perfect a site this is for old hardware. I even managed to get here under Windows 3.1! I'm wondering if any of y'all also like accessing this forum through vintage computer hardware?
    Very cool, tell us more about your setup.
    Spread the joy of Vintage Addiction

    -->www.chronworks.com/<--->www.i8008.net/<--

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    The site looks perfect under Windows 95 with Seamonkey 1.1.x/Firefox 2. None of that awful https that may fail if a browser is more than 5 minutes old.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    34,951
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    I know that I've accessed this site using OS/2 Warp 4. But that was just for curiosity.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 8008guy View Post
    Very cool, tell us more about your setup.
    Well the my main computer system until recently was an IBM Aptiva desktop. 330Mhz AMD K6-2 CPU, 128Mb of RAM and a 4Mb onboard Ati 3D Rage XL chip. My newly built main system however is a 850Mhz AMD Athlon, 196Mb RAM, and a 32Mb Ati Rage 128. Most of what I do on my systems is gaming, office software, forum browsing, email and BBS surfing. I have a whole office setup. Complete with dot matrix printer, flatbed scanner and matching beige laminator. CRT monitor (I don't own any flatpanels).

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    The site looks perfect under Windows 95 with Seamonkey 1.1.x/Firefox 2. None of that awful https that may fail if a browser is more than 5 minutes old.
    I use IE and K-Meleon. Windows 3.1-2000. I'm planning on building a 486 Windows 3.11 system and using it daily.

  7. #7

    Default

    Most of my eprom programmers are from the 80's and need matching PC hardware
    (...like old ISA card slots... ) with early windows drivers.

    I have a couple of Pentium (I) PC's, running Win 95 .

    FireFox 2.0.0.20 is running fine


    Steph

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Most of my eprom programmers are from the 80's and need matching PC hardware
    (...like old ISA card slots... ) with early windows drivers.

    I have a couple of Pentium (I) PC's, running Win 95 .

    FireFox 2.0.0.20 is running fine


    Steph

    Windows 95 using IE 4
    Windows 98 using IE 5
    Windows 2000 using IE 6
    Also all of these using various versions of K-meleon web browser.
    And Windows 3.1 with IE 4

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    554
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I miss the sound of a dot matrix printer...

    Being able to print long programs out on a continious paper strip!
    Spread the joy of Vintage Addiction

    -->www.chronworks.com/<--->www.i8008.net/<--

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 8008guy View Post
    I miss the sound of a dot matrix printer...

    Being able to print long programs out on a continious paper strip!

    Using one today is very economical. For my Panasonic black ribbon is 1 doller a ribbon and color is 24 dollars a ribbon. Both of those numbers are WAY smaller than ink cartridge prices for modern printers. Plus using tractor feed paper is really cheap (35US for a big box of it.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •