Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TRS-80 model 4 gate array toubleshooting

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    Use the HxC Tools. Go to Settings->SD HxC Floppy Emulator Settings. Leave the default settings. Press Save Config File and save it to the root of a freshly formatted SD card.
    Thanks for this!

Wasn't the 4D a gate array machine ?
    Gaming: i7-8700K, 16GB, 1TB SSD, RTX 2060, Dual 27" LG IPS Monitors.
    Vintage: TRS-80 MODEL 4, 128K RAM, Internal: 360K FDD, Gotek USB FDD & FreHD HDD Combo, External: 360K & 720K FDD, RS232-WIFI MODEM, DWP-210
    Web Site: https://texastandyrestoration.com/ - Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/TexasTandyRestorations/

Not all of the 4D's were gate arrays. Only the last runs of production were produced
    as Gate Array's. You can tell the Gate Array easily as the RS-232C Port comes directly
    out the bottom (pointed towards the back) versus being the PCB Edge Connector pointing
    directly at the desk it's sitting on. (Not many Gate array's were produced versus the first
    model's of the 4D.)

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by ldkraemer View Post
    Not all of the 4D's were gate arrays. Only the last runs of production were produced
    as Gate Array's. You can tell the Gate Array easily as the RS-232C Port comes directly
    out the bottom (pointed towards the back) versus being the PCB Edge Connector pointing
    directly at the desk it's sitting on. (Not many Gate array's were produced versus the first
    model's of the 4D.)

Larry
    The 4D had the 4GA system board. It was the replacement for the 4GA. You might find a 4NGA that someone has installed a 4D keyboard in, though.

The 4D will say 4D on the nameplate, and will have double-sided drives with a rotating latch. The 4D keyboard has both the clustered keys AND a backspace key. I likewise have a non gate array model 4 with a green screen and clustered arrow keys, but it was one of the many Computer News 80 refurbished units. Could you post some photos?

Also, the model number will tell you; since the model number sticker belongs to the bottom case, and since the gate array machine's bottom case has a different cutout pattern, it's a pretty good indicator: if you have any of 26-1067, 26-1068, or 26-1069 it is a non gate-array; 26-1068A, 26-1067A, and 26-1069A are non-4D gate-array machines, and 26-1070 is the 4D.
    --
    Thus spake Tandy Xenix System III version 3.2: "Bughlt: Sckmud Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lowen View Post
    The 4D will say 4D on the nameplate, and will have double-sided drives with a rotating latch. The 4D keyboard has both the clustered keys AND a backspace key. I likewise have a non gate array model 4 with a green screen and clustered arrow keys, but it was one of the many Computer News 80 refurbished units. Could you post some photos?

Also, the model number will tell you; since the model number sticker belongs to the bottom case, and since the gate array machine's bottom case has a different cutout pattern, it's a pretty good indicator: if you have any of 26-1067, 26-1068, or 26-1069 it is a non gate-array; 26-1068A, 26-1067A, and 26-1069A are non-4D gate-array machines, and 26-1070 is the 4D.
    I sold this one about 5 years ago. It was a 4 with a green screen and clustered keys, but the bottom case was different... I *think* there was an RS232 connector there but I can't remember. It did not have the backspace key up top.

My current Model 4 looks identical but the bottom case does not have that cutout.

Here are pics of my old Model 4 with the different bottom case with the cutout in the back:

IMG_3338S.jpg
    IMG_3337S.jpg

I thought I purchased it back from the original buyer, but it turns out he must have had more than 3, because I got back an entirely different Model 4 along with another... but neither was the one I sold him originally.

Blog Entries

Just realized I accidentally typed 4D earlier in the thread ... it's not a 4D it's a late model 4 with green screen and clustered keyboard (26-1069)

Is it 26-1069 or 26-1069A?
    --
    Thus spake Tandy Xenix System III version 3.2: "Bughlt: Sckmud Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lowen View Post
    Is it 26-1069 or 26-1069A?
    26-1069. The A is the gate array version I believe.