Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to set A: to boot automatically on an xt-ide?

Quote Originally Posted by fjk61011 View Post
    Well with just the xt-ide card in the pc with no CF adapter. PC doesn't Post. Also the xt-ide pins and collar show signs of burning..
    One thing you could try is disable the EEprom on the ISA-CF adapter and see if the pc boots then

on the 5150 the four wire power supply cable, the red wire looks damaged.
    Damaged in what way, Burned ?

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    One thing you could try is disable the EEprom on the ISA-CF adapter and see if the pc boots then

Damaged in what way, Burned ?
    yes burned

Very poor design to put unfused power rail on pin 20

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    Very poor design to put unfused power rail on pin 20
    Yeah, glitche's has a jumper to disable Pin 20.

Is it possible for you to post a picture of the damaged card’s connector? If the power cable from the PSU is burned I’m actually wondering about the possibility that the CF card adapter you have might have pin 20 connected to the 5v line and when you plugged it backwards *that* was actually the source of the current, not the line on the XTIDE connector.

If you have a voltmeter you could check for continuity between pin 20, if present, on the cf adapter and the power plug. If it’s there then that adapter has the potential of melting any IDE card you connect it to.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Is it possible for you to post a picture of the damaged card’s connector? If the power cable from the PSU is burned I’m actually wondering about the possibility that the CF card adapter you have might have pin 20 connected to the 5v line and when you plugged it backwards *that* was actually the source of the current, not the line on the XTIDE connector.

If you have a voltmeter you could check for continuity between pin 20, if present, on the cf adapter and the power plug. If it’s there then that adapter has the potential of melting any IDE card you connect it to.
    Will take photo later. The cf card adapter is keyed to go into the xt-ide card collar so it can't go in "backwards". It seems that what was damaged was the xt-ide card and the wiring on the red wire going to moles connector. What's puzzling is the cf card was working although occasionally would corrupt data..

Will take photo later. The cf card adapter is keyed to go into the xt-ide card collar so it can't go in "backwards". It seems that what was damaged was the xt-ide card and the wiring on the red wire going to moles connector. What's puzzling is the cf card was working although occasionally would corrupt data..
    So it's a "direct plug" CF adapter with a female connector on it, not one connected via cable to the XTIDE card?

Generally speaking people would probably be more successful trying to help you out if you'd provide more complete information about what you have and what you're doing with it, including pictures where appropriate.

I'm going to summarise the situation.

1. 5150. lo-tech xt-ide card rev 2. Chinese CF to IDE adapter. 512 MB CF card. Working but would corrupt data occasionally.

EDIT: 1a. Tested xt-ide and an SD card adapter with a PATA cable. Keyed cable so it could not go in backwards.

2. Something happened. Red wire covering on the Power Supply molex cable looks melted. Plastic collar on xt-ide melted and some smoke damage on PIN 20 of that card. Luckily I had the cover off and smelt the plastic burning.

3. PC failed to POST with the lo-tech xt-ide card rev 2 with the Chinese CF to IDE adapter, in the slot closest to the power supply.

4. PC failed to POST with just the lo-tech xt-ide card rev 2 in the slot closest to the power supply.

5. Tested Chinese CF to IDE adapter in my PS/1 and it works fine.

6 Multimeter. Continuity test of Chinese CF to IDE adapter, PIN 20 and RED wire of external power cable. Not connected.

7. PIN 20 and yellow wire of external power cable. Not connected.

8. PIN 20 and both Black wires. Connected.

Was it just an accident waiting to happen?

How would I test PIN 20 of the xt-ide to see if it supplies power?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqB2fOYnIVbxzaME...Qs2bg?e=qfitpc

Just saw the back of the xt-ide card. It says 5 V on PIN 20.
    Last edited by fjk61011; July 16th, 2020 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    So it's a "direct plug" CF adapter with a female connector on it, not one connected via cable to the XTIDE card?

Generally speaking people would probably be more successful trying to help you out if you'd provide more complete information about what you have and what you're doing with it, including pictures where appropriate.
    I've just summarised the situation before I saw your post.

1. 5150. lo-tech xt-ide card rev 2. Chinese CF to IDE adapter. 512 MB CF card. Working but would corrupt data occasionally.
    CF compatibility is a major issue in my experience. Only solution is to try a different card.

(For what it's worth, When I was testing some cards myself a SanDisk card was one of the ones that produced data corruption with DISKTEST.EXE when connected to my homemade XT-CF adapter.)

2. Something happened. Red wire covering on the Power Supply molex cable looks melted. Plastic collar on xt-ide melted and some smoke damage on PIN 20 of that card. Luckily I had the cover off and smelt the plastic burning.

3. PC failed to POST with the lo-tech xt-ide card rev 2 with the Chinese CF to IDE adapter, in the slot closest to the power supply.

4. PC failed to POST with just the lo-tech xt-ide card rev 2 in the slot closest to the power supply.

5. Tested Chinese CF to IDE adapter in my PS/1 and it works fine.

6 Multimeter. Continuity test of Chinese CF to IDE adapter, PIN 20 and RED wire of external power cable. Not connected.

7. PIN 20 and yellow wire of external power cable. Not connected.

8. PIN 20 and both Black wires. Connected.

Was it just an accident waiting to happen?
    Pin 20 to black wires, bad. Very bad. That's why your XTIDE card is fried on pin 20, that's a short straight from 5v to ground.

How would I test PIN 20 of the xt-ide to see if it supplies power?
    You can try doing a continuity test between pin 20 on the XTIDE, which is the *very* burned pin in your picture, to a VCC pin on one of the ICs on the board; if you're holding the board so the notches in the chips are facing up then the VCC pin of most 74 series chips is the one in the upper right. But I don't think there's any doubt it was supplying power judging from the damage.

Just saw the back of the xt-ide card. It says 5 V on PIN 20.
    Specifically that adapter says it "auto-selects" power supply. I don't know how it does that, but if it's shorting pin 20 on the IDE connector to ground on the power supply plug I'd guess that whatever it uses to auto-select malfunctioned somehow and shorted *both* the pin 20 input and the PSU input to ground, which is why it fried both the XTIDE pin and the PSU connector. Why it's working now in the other computer I don't know, I can't say without knowing what the heck it's doing and why pin 20 is connected to ground now.

(You're absolutely sure you're probing the correct pins?)

Personally I would suggest throwing that CF adapter as hard as you can into the nearest trash bin.
    Last edited by Eudimorphodon; July 16th, 2020 at 11:42 AM.