Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slot-mounted PS/2 Ports

Default Slot-mounted PS/2 Ports

Prior to the ATX era, if you wanted a PS/2 port on an AT type machine, you used a mini-DIN port connector that fit in a card slot.

There should be scads of these around in junk boxes. Does anyone have one? Classifieds isn't turning anything up, so I thought I'd ask the forum where they're most likely to be found..

Thanks, Bill

Screenshot_20200722-173448~3.png
    There are nearly one million feral cats just in the St. Paul / Minneapolis area alone.

Sick & malnourished animals don't make for cute videos - Please spay & neuter your pets.

Quote Originally Posted by WimWalther View Post
    Prior to the ATX era, if you wanted a PS/2 port on an AT type machine, you used a mini-DIN port connector that fit in a card slot.

There should be scads of these around in junk boxes. Does anyone have one? Classifieds isn't turning anything up, so I thought I'd ask the forum where they're most likely to be found..

Thanks, Bill

Screenshot_20200722-173448~3.png
    Wow. I just got done picking up some AT cases and has one like that. It has a 4 wire/5pin connector

Blog Entries

...but the PS/2 mini-DIN are 6-pin, unless you're talking about the far end "Berg" connector.

In any case, I have a couple, with brackets. One ends in an 8 pin dual-row connector; the other in a 10 pin connector.
    Last edited by Chuck(G); July 24th, 2020 at 08:08 AM.

Did we lose some posts during the last hours? I read this topic earlier and at least two answers are gone. Same for another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by WimWalther View Post
    There should be scads of these around in junk boxes.
    you'd think that but they have become notoriously uncommon in recent years

I guess many people simply threw them away

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    ...but the PS/2 mini-DIN are 6-pin, unless you're talking about the far end "Berg" connector.

In any case, I have a couple, with brackets. One ends in an 8 pin dual-row connector; the other in a 10 pin connector.
    I mean the connector that plugs into motherboard. The ps/2 is normal, but rhe other end is a single file 5 pin with 4 wires

Blog Entries

I bought a PS/2 keyboard/mouse adapter recently but it is only works with standard PCI slots and not PCIe. I failed to take in consideration the particular mobo only has 'mini' PCI risers. (useful when installing W7 when you bump into USB 3.1 compatibility issues)
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by New2vtgpc View Post
    I mean the connector that plugs into motherboard. The ps/2 is normal, but rhe other end is a single file 5 pin with 4 wires
    It's been 20 years and my memory might be faulty, but I don't think those dongles were ever really standardized and came with a multitude of different plug arrangements. One meant for some particular brand of motherboard probably won't fit a different brand.

If you can find the manual for your particular motherboard it *may* well have the pinouts of the header in it, which would let you build one yourself.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Blog Entries

Yup, I think that the 8 pin termination was for a Tyan motherboard; I don't recall what the 10 pin was for--maybe a P1 PCChips board?

1329676968.or.15360.jpg

these were the two most common pinouts

the one on the right was used by AOpen (and Asus I believe)