Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slot-mounted PS/2 Ports

StarTech still makes these, called a PLATE6F.
    Also, it's possible to rearrange the wires on the connector it comes with to match the pinout if known. I've done it successfully.

Blog Entries

You can get mini-DIN 6-pin to DB9F adapters and use one as a Serial Mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    You can get mini-DIN 6-pin to DB9F adapters and use one as a Serial Mouse.
    not all native PS/2 mouses support that, IME most don't

USB native mouses with PS/2 dongles absolutely don't

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Makefile View Post
    StarTech still makes these, called a PLATE6F.
    For the lazy: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-.../dp/B0002AFZV2 or cheaper from the source: https://www.startech.com/Cables/Seri...racket~PLATE6F

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    not all native PS/2 mouses support that, IME most don't
    I'd be a little kinder and say you've probably got at least a good 50/50 chance if the mouse was made before, I dunno, 2001-ish and after 1990-something. (It turns out every PS/2 mouse I've tried works on the dongles that came with some generic PS2/Serial mice I bought from eBay last year because I couldn't find a single dongle or native serial mouse in my junk bins.) But, yeah, you can't count on it.

But sure, stacking a USB mouse that supports PS/2 with a dongle onto a PS/2->serial dongle, pretty sure that isn't ever going to fly. If someone ever did make a triple-mode mouse it's news to me.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    It's been 20 years and my memory might be faulty, but I don't think those dongles were ever really standardized and came with a multitude of different plug arrangements. One meant for some particular brand of motherboard probably won't fit a different brand.

If you can find the manual for your particular motherboard it *may* well have the pinouts of the header in it, which would let you build one yourself.
    I don't really care about the motherboard-end pinout.. this is for an Arduino project that needs to talk to a PS/2 keyboard. So long as it has 4 wires (B+, Gnd, Data, Clock) I'm good.
    There are nearly one million feral cats just in the St. Paul / Minneapolis area alone.

Sick & malnourished animals don't make for cute videos - Please spay & neuter your pets.

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    Does that plug into a USB motherboard connection or a serial motherboard connection?

... I seem to recall something similar on an ASUS motherboard back in the day. IIRC it was an early Pentium board.

Quote Originally Posted by WimWalther View Post
    I don't really care about the motherboard-end pinout.. this is for an Arduino project that needs to talk to a PS/2 keyboard. So long as it has 4 wires (B+, Gnd, Data, Clock) I'm good.
    Oh, then that StarTech dingus should do the job just fine. Saves you having to solder the socket yourself, I guess.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

If I actually had to pay $7-10+ for one of these, I'd feel like a failure.

Need to find a trade deal
    There are nearly one million feral cats just in the St. Paul / Minneapolis area alone.

Sick & malnourished animals don't make for cute videos - Please spay & neuter your pets.