Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Massive barn find!

my 1535 boots and has a working drive - i'd be glad to take you up on that, i'll shoot you a message.

in other news recapped the dc-dc boards in both 1550s, and they both came back to life.. except the backlights. everything else (fdd, hdd, serial etc) works, and i can see that the screens themselves work fine (as does external vga) but no backlight. does someone far more knowledgeable/experienced have any ideas? or schematics/voltages/test points to point me towards? do the backlights themselves fail? any info would be appreciated, this isn't an area i've dealt with before.

2. Default

The 1550sx was available with an LCD (common) and a less common VGA Plasma option. Yes, backlights definitely can fail... I don't like to remember those days. I think the LCD backlight voltage is like 130VAC and the Plasma 33VDC. The 1520/1530 have different power supplies depending on the display type. The 1550 is a different breed and I don't recall if it had different power supplies or if there were different mainboards with voltage converters depending on the display type, or both. I have a 1550sx service manual with schematics somewhere. I'm currently getting ready to post all my Grid stuff on a website I'm building but I'll try to find this manual for you ASAP.
    My corner of the world: classicbits.net