Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for WINDOWS 7 Tablet

Default Recommendation for WINDOWS 7 Tablet

Hello All,

As time progresses I find that I have more manuals as PDF then on paper so referring to them while working on a project becomes harder then plopping the book next to me. I started looking at cheap Android tablets to use as a companion - I could load up my manuals as PDFs, place the tablet on portrait mode, and be able to glance up at the tablet for reference from a decent distance. In addition I could use the tablet to play back music in the background, look up stuff on the web, post on the forum, switch to landscape as needed, it would be portable... You get the idea...

Before I go down the android route (no iPads - I find them very frustrating to use for non Apple approved activities) I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good/excellent older tablet for Windows 7?

I am still "on" windows 7 so I know the bugs and I have SW that works fine with it. I have a established work flow with it so the transition would be much easier. My main "system" is a Lenovo x200 Tablet. Great system but still a bit bulky for what I want/imagine (e.g. no easy way to stand it up in portrait). The other bigger issue, for me, is the low resolution screen. The X200 is WXGA and I would like to have a 1920x1080 display.

I have looked at some of the newer tablets but they all seem to be full UEFI systems so a no go for Win 7. The Samsung Series 7 is almost ideal except for the low resolution screen. If I could get a Series 7 with 1920x1080 screen that would be perfect.

So anyone know of a tablet or convertible notebook system that is:

1. Relatively lightweight
    2. Has a decent screen size (at least 9" - bigger would be better)
    3. Supports 1920x1080p resolution
    4. Can run Win 7

TIA!
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Tablets may have their conveniences depending on the application. But why people feel their needs aren't served by a notebook is somewhat puzzling, and just may be all about marketing. If you need something to be stood up right in front of you, what better appliance is there then a notebook? The stand is built on.

Where it not for your full HD requirement, id suggest an Asus Eee Slate EP121. https://www.trustedreviews.com/revie...ee-slate-ep121

They may be a little scarce now though.

Do modern devices no longer have the ability to swtch UEFI into legacy mode and switch secure boot off in the BIOS? I spent three years supporting a large warehouse full of HP Probook/ EliteDesk mini pcs and laptops. They started on W7 and we moved over to W10, in legacy mode and later to UEFI if the BIOS supported it, which most did.

... Just remembered - i had a Dell Venue 11 Pro tablet with its detachable travel keyboard for a while, excellent device. Windows 8.1 based and supported W7 I think. There were different models from i3 to i7 up to 8GBRam. Like a full laptop in a highly portable package that could be docked and used as a desktop pc with connected keyboard/mouse and external screens. I had an i5, 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD.

It was full HD too 1920x1080

Quote Originally Posted by alan8086 View Post
    Where it not for your full HD requirement, id suggest an Asus Eee Slate EP121. https://www.trustedreviews.com/revie...ee-slate-ep121

They may be a little scarce now though.

Do modern devices no longer have the ability to swtch UEFI into legacy mode and switch secure boot off in the BIOS? I spent three years supporting a large warehouse full of HP Probook/ EliteDesk mini pcs and laptops. They started on W7 and we moved over to W10, in legacy mode and later to UEFI if the BIOS supported it, which most did.
    ... Just remembered - i had a Dell Venue 11 Pro tablet with its detachable travel keyboard for a while, excellent device. Windows 8.1 based and supported W7 I think. There were different models from i3 to i7 up to 8GBRam. Like a full laptop in a highly portable package that could be docked and used as a desktop pc with connected keyboard/mouse and external screens. I had an i5, 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD.

So it looks like the board has gone back to not informing me of new posts....

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I started looking up the Venue but I did not see it was ever made with the Core i7 chips. The last model I found was with the Intel Core M-5Y71 which should still be good enough. The Venue also helped me to find other possible models of tablets that support Win 7.

Unfortunately, many of the newer systems only have UEFI BIOSes and won't work with Win7.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Quick question did you ever try "upgrading" the Venue? My main concerns would be upgrading hte SSD and battery when it stops taking charge. Thanks!

I actually bought my Venue as a non working unit without an SSD. Paid about 90 and took a risk that its lifeless state could be fixed by replacing the separate power/USB board, which paid off. My unit should have had a 256GB SSD but I was cheap and bought a 128GB unit. Its the 'stick' type of SSD - Just a long thin PCB, like MSATA but a later version. I forget the proper name. The battery is end user replaceable too - just pop the back off and lift it it out. If you get the travel keyboard, it too has a LiPo battery built in - which doubles the charge life of the whole unit and turns your tablet into a laptop. Dell were competing with the first gen Surface Pro - they went all out on versatility and modularity. If you do buy one used, just check with the owner that it never had any charging issues. There were problems I think with the earlier models.

I just checked its W7 compatibility - seems that i remember correctly. W7 drivers are available...

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en...1i-pro/drivers

I actually bought my Venue as a non working unit without an SSD. Paid about 90 and took a risk that its lifeless state could be fixed by replacing the separate power/USB board, which paid off. My unit should have had a 256GB SSD but I was cheap and bought a 128GB unit. Its the 'stick' type of SSD - Just a long thin PCB, like MSATA but a later version. I forget the proper name. The battery is end user replaceable too - just pop the back off and lift it it out. If you get the travel keyboard, it too has a LiPo battery built in - which doubles the charge life of the whole unit and turns your tablet into a laptop. Dell were competing with the first gen Surface Pro - they went all out on versatility and modularity. If you do buy one used, just check with the owner that it never had any charging issues. There were problems I think with the earlier models.
    ...note - all this I've stated about user replaceable parts is true of the better models, i5 and maybe the i3 versions. The Intel Atom versions were a different configuration - fixed to 4GB RAM, 64GB SSD and the battery was integral. Id go for the i5 version. Oh there was no i7 - I remembered that incorrectly.

Thanks for all the information. I actually did a bit of research amongst the first generation tablets. Looking at the Toshiba Z s r ies Lenovo Helix, and the Venue. I am leaning toward the Venue vs. The Z20t. Both had almost the same specs including CPU. The toshiba accessories are cheaper to get but i think based on what i have read and you have stated the Venue maybe easier to maintain. I think it really comes down to if I can get a sweet deal on either one. Thanks again.

P.S. i think the Venue uses a m2 slot for ssd.