Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for WINDOWS 7 Tablet

Glad to help for a change - my Vintage PC knowledge is very amateurish compared to some on this forum but modern PCs are easier for me to advise on. Why not post a pic of your resulting purchase? All's well that ends well to the thread?

Quote Originally Posted by alan8086 View Post
    Glad to help for a change - my Vintage PC knowledge is very amateurish compared to some on this forum but modern PCs are easier for me to advise on. Why not post a pic of your resulting purchase? All's well that ends well to the thread?
    Was planning on it once it arrived. I tend to post some picture heavy threads Hopefully by the end of the week. I got a case, the dock, and the pen. Skipped out on the KB for now. I may get one in the future but I am really trying to use this as a tablet. The unit is the "top of the line" 8GB w/ a 256GB SSD. So as long as physically it is in good shape it should be a good purchase. I will need to get Win 7 setup on it (I believe the seller had 8 going...) I am debating a DOS partition on it as well (512MB worth or so). The only concern is the aspect ration of 16:9. Great for watching movies not so sure about reading in portrait mode but we will see... Thanks again for all the help.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    Was planning on it once it arrived. I tend to post some picture heavy threads Hopefully by the end of the week. I got a case, the dock, and the pen. Skipped out on the KB for now. I may get one in the future but I am really trying to use this as a tablet. The unit is the "top of the line" 8GB w/ a 256GB SSD. So as long as physically it is in good shape it should be a good purchase. I will need to get Win 7 setup on it (I believe the seller had 8 going...) I am debating a DOS partition on it as well (512MB worth or so). The only concern is the aspect ration of 16:9. Great for watching movies not so sure about reading in portrait mode but we will see... Thanks again for all the help.
    Question: Are W7/DOS drivers available?
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Question: Are W7/DOS drivers available?
    Windows 7 drivers are available (although there is nothing exotic in there so most of it should work out of the box). What drivers for DOS? It will run in std. VGA mode. The only driver needed would be the network chip and maybe the sound card. KB should be handled through BIOS and mouse would be a std. USB (i.e. not the touch screen). I am not playing on using it for games so sound is really optional. But I do like my MS Lan Man!
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by alan8086 View Post
    I just checked its W7 compatibility - seems that i remember correctly. W7 drivers are available...

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en...1i-pro/drivers

The tablet arrived and I am loving it. It is a great little machine. I got the latest version (I think) - the 7140 which uses an Intel M series chip at 1.2GHz. While the base frequency of this chips is slower then the i5 chip used in the 7139 (1.6 vs 1.2) its turbo speed is faster, it has a larger cache, and appears to do better on most benchmarks. Plus it's TDP is MUCH lower allowing for a slimmer device and no fan. One of the complaints on the 713x series was the heat and loudness of the fan. In fact the only time I ran into a heat issue was when I first charged up the battery. Since then the tablet has been totally stable and worked well for the tasks I have used it for (streaming media, reading PDFs, browsing, playing DVD/BDs, etc.) My particular unit has the 256GB SSD and 8GB of RAM. The only issue is a scratch on the screen which will probably see me having to return this particular unit to the seller unless he wants to compensate me for a new screen (the 3.5" scratch is deep enough to catch your nail and was not disclosed). New screens aren't too bad but I would have to take the whole thing apart which while doable does not look fun!

My unit has windows 10 on it - and I am not loving the OS at all. I have not upgraded to Win7 yet because I am waiting to hear what the seller wants to do with regards to the screen. As a side note the drivers in the link above are for the 713x series. Good news is that nothing exotic is in the tablet so I can source the drivers myself for the most part. The only thing that may be an issue is the synaptic touch screen.

Battery life has been more then acceptable. The unit is light and screen brightness is more then adequate. I had read in the reviews that the speakers were not great ,and while they may be inadequate to a discerning ear, my tin ears find them just fine for streaming Netflix. As for accessories I got the dock, the active pen (I think... there is much debate as to what model Dell pen works with which revision of the tablet), and a folio case. I am not sure about getting a KB as that is not my main purpose for this unit (i.e. using it as a notebook replacement) plus i can always connect a std. USB KB to it if need be. Pictures are forthcoming.

Blog Entries

One thing for manual viewing, you might want look at http://xournal.sourceforge.net/ or the ++ version. I have been using the base version to view music scores on a touch screen.
    It shows pages side-by-side and that seems so much more natural to me. It also lets you annotate the PDFs. I stuck with the non ++ version as it runs more smoothly on the I3 I am using with a Hanspree 21" touch screen.

I also wonder if any one has used

https://calibre-ebook.com/

to manage their pdf manuals?
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post

I also wonder if any one has used

https://calibre-ebook.com/

to manage their pdf manuals?
    I can't comment on the other stuff but I have tried using Calibre. Can't say I found it made things easier for me. I may not have delved into it far enough though. Ideally I want something that would allow me to maintain a database and storage on one of my servers and then I could run a client on any system and access all of the PDFs sorted by categories and searchable on meta data.

Calibre kind of does this with the content server but then you have to use a web browser to access the content (as opposed to a client that would be faster and more powerful) and for me personally the fact that it is Linux based is an issue due to my lack of experience with Linux. I guess I could always runt the windows version using a "make service" program.... Plus I am not sure were you would manage the content from (i.e. the server it is running on or any PC/Tablet connected to the server? This article makes it a bit more confusing....)

Forgot to mention the biggest drawback - Calibre is made for eBooks and the creators force their schema on to you. As many PDFs we download don't have the prerequisite metadata for auto sorting then the value for the system is almost nonexistent.
    Last edited by Shadow Lord; August 12th, 2020 at 07:16 PM.

Blog Entries

I can't comment on the other stuff but I have tried using Calibre. Can't say I found it made things easier for me. I may not have delved into it far enough though. Ideally I want something that would allow me to maintain a database and storage on one of my servers and then I could run a client on any system and access all of the PDFs sorted by categories and searchable on meta data.

Calibre kind of does this with the content server but then you have to use a web browser to access the content (as opposed to a client that would be faster and more powerful) and for me personally the fact that it is Linux based is an issue due to my lack of experience with Linux. I guess I could always runt the windows version using a "make service" program.... Plus I am not sure were you would manage the content from (i.e. the server it is running on or any PC/Tablet connected to the server? This article makes it a bit more confusing....)

Forgot to mention the biggest drawback - Calibre is made for eBooks and the creators force their schema on to you. As many PDFs we download don't have the prerequisite metadata for auto sorting then the value for the system is almost nonexistent.
    I was wondering if the "tags" would be usefull. I was hoping the content server would work with the normal client Time to start writing my own.....
    Dave
    G4UGM

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    I was wondering if the "tags" would be usefull. I was hoping the content server would work with the normal client Time to start writing my own.....
    Well if you want a BETA tester ....

Blog Entries

Well if you want a BETA tester ....
    If i write it myself I am Alpha Tester, Beta Tester. Release Tester etc....
    I did a bit more poking in Calibre. You can configure the database engine to start when windows starts so I don't think you need a service.
    Lots of options for tags for the meta data.... I think more ingestifation required...
    Dave
    G4UGM