Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restoring a 190CS

Quote Originally Posted by Timo W. View Post
    Hail to generalization.
    It's not a generalization. I've done quite a bit of repair work on machines owned by foreign exchange college kids from around the globe, including many countries in Europe. They all treat their machines like crap, though it's not always intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Timo W. View Post
    That doesn't mean that all were also actually bought by college students, given prices up to $2200. And it seems that target audience thing was mainly in the US. In Germany, hardly any student would own a notebook back then. Not one from Apple anyway.
    Parents/family members buy it for the students, and they spend big bucks on stuff like laptops.

An even broader generalization: people, be they kids or adults, treat stuff they didn’t personally pay for like crap. I haven’t dealt with college kids laptops but I’ve seen plenty of what full grown “adults” do to $3,000 corporate issued laptops. One of the more interesting cases I recall is the guy who completely trashed his PowerBook G4 after dropping it on a men’s room floor while taking a piss while holding it *open and powered on” in one hand. Hit the urinal on the way down, I think. This is not what middle class people normally do with their own laptops.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Parents/family members buy it for the students, and they spend big bucks on stuff like laptops.
    not necessarily, most of those expensive laptop sales for education are financed by student loans. never think that apple is a benevolent company

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    An even broader generalization: people, be they kids or adults, treat stuff they didnít personally pay for like crap. I havenít dealt with college kids laptops but Iíve seen plenty of what full grown ďadultsĒ do to $3,000 corporate issued laptops. One of the more interesting cases I recall is the guy who completely trashed his PowerBook G4 after dropping it on a menís room floor while taking a piss while holding it *open and powered onĒ in one hand. Hit the urinal on the way down, I think. This is not what middle class people normally do with their own laptops.
    These are people who weren't raised right, and they treat everything as disposable and are probably those people who don't tip and feel righteous in doing so (american context: waitstaff and bartenders usually get zero dollar paychecks to avoid taxes). Just don't call those people middle class, unless you're english where it means something different from most of the rest of the world. They're just assholes, and that extends across class.

The power supply for the 1400c came in today, it turns out the problem with it was a dead power supply so it boots well, except that it won't accept any of my CDR boot disks so I'm going to have to install OS9 on it. (OS9 is the only version of classic macos that i have an original CDROM of). OTOH it should work well enough with 32mb, hopefully? The only spare IDE laptop drive I had available was a 60gb drive and I've got a 48mb flash pc card that I think I can use as a ram extension? Never tried it but all the old articles on google recommend it. If that doesn't work, I've still got the 1gb ATA PC card.

If anyone has a spare ram for a 1400 pm me. pm me if you just want to get rid of a pb 1400, or a 190. or any powerbook, i guess.
    Last edited by bifo86; August 3rd, 2020 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bifo86 View Post
    not necessarily, most of those expensive laptop sales for education are financed by student loans. never think that apple is a benevolent company
    Apple is the most anti-consumer company in the world, benevolent is the farthest thing away from describing them. Their community is an echo chamber of "yes men", shills and iZombies who are addicted to their cancerous culture and defective products. They exist as a company because their consumers are so used to being treating like garbage that they don't know any better.

Thankfully Apple has their hands full with their modern tech to leave us vintage computer enthusiasts mostly alone.

Quote Originally Posted by bifo86 View Post
    The power supply for the 1400c came in today, it turns out the problem with it was a dead power supply so it boots well, except that it won't accept any of my CDR boot disks so I'm going to have to install OS9 on it. (OS9 is the only version of classic macos that i have an original CDROM of). OTOH it should work well enough with 32mb, hopefully? The only spare IDE laptop drive I had available was a 60gb drive and I've got a 48mb flash pc card that I think I can use as a ram extension? Never tried it but all the old articles on google recommend it. If that doesn't work, I've still got the 1gb ATA PC card.

If anyone has a spare ram for a 1400 pm me. pm me if you just want to get rid of a pb 1400, or a 190. or any powerbook, i guess.
    Mac OS 9 is a pig on anything less than a G3. 32 MB of RAM is also the bare minimum, and you have to enable virtual memory. I'd recommend 64 MB minimum, and 128 MB recommended. But even with large amounts of RAM, it's a pig on a 60x CPU, been there, done that. I have a Performa 6500/250 (603e) with 64 MB of RAM and OS 9 is a pig on it. It runs better on the slowest G3 233/266 CPUs, but the faster the better.

I'd recommend either OS 8.1 or 8.6, with 8.6 being a nice balance of features and performance. There were very few programs that required OS 9, and those that did are far out of the performance range of your Powerbook 1400.