Image Map Image Map

Thread: AMD Phenom II 1090t

Blog Entries

Default AMD Phenom II 1090t

I'm looking for a 1090t (AM3) for a new an old/new project. Please reply via PM.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Don't know if you found one, but would be interested to hear how that 6-banger works out for you. I've got a peculiar addiction to AM2/AM3 systems--since I'm not gaming or doing visual art, they still fit my needs and just keep going and going. Stupid cheap now, too. Running a Phenom 4-banger on this system and just ordered an AM2 x2 CPU for $6 free shipping for an older board that I own.
    I've got enough of these old systems that I don't back up files anymore--I back up entire systems. So, if one should go down, I just move my chair a couple of feet and I'm in business again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Don't know if you found one, but would be interested to hear how that 6-banger works out for you. I've got a peculiar addiction to AM2/AM3 systems--since I'm not gaming or doing visual art, they still fit my needs and just keep going and going. Stupid cheap now, too. Running a Phenom 4-banger on this system and just ordered an AM2 x2 CPU for $6 free shipping for an older board that I own.
    I've got enough of these old systems that I don't back up files anymore--I back up entire systems. So, if one should go down, I just move my chair a couple of feet and I'm in business again.
    Anything AM2/3 that is dual core is pretty much worthless. Some people will pay a few bucks for higher end 4 core chips. The 6 and 8 core (FX) series seem to command much more money then they are worth recently.

AM2 boards were super cheap when new from what I remember but they seem to hold up well compared to Core2 boards for some reason (which are also dirt cheap now).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

I'm trying to deal with a fella on eBay but he wants a bunch for his. I presently have a 955 sitting in a 780 Gigabyte AM2+/AM3 board that has a BIOS option to open up the 955 to 6 cores. It's a crap shoot as far as the 955 is concerned, not all will do it but mine was not cherry picked either. The 6 cores doesn't mean much with respect to games of that era unless you're multitasking. So, my plan is max this board out and run XP Pro it. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Blog Entries

Another reason for my AM2/AM3 addiction is that all my boards have legacy floppy+PATA support and real parallel ports. Linux user here.

Hard to find an i7 board with that--is it even possible?

Blog Entries

Another reason for my AM2/AM3 addiction is that all my boards have legacy floppy+PATA support and real parallel ports. Linux user here.

Above I referenced Gigabyte 780 and it should have been Gigabyte MA790FX-UD5P, which is an AM3 board with PCI & PCIe support as well as SATA, PATA/IDE.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherbo...UD5P-rev-10#ov

There are W7 drivers available for this board as well as Vista. I have found that W7 can even install drivers for the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe leaving only the LAN driver to be sourced which is readily available. XP runs on this board like it was the test bed. Like all of this stuff, not cheap these days.

The last Intel boards to really offer an legacy stuff was the 1st gen Core i3/i5/i7 Nehalem architecture.

I had a GA-P55A-UD4P awhile back and it has quite literally everything.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherbo...UD4P-rev-20#ov
    https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813128409

It has serial, parallel, floppy, IDE and PCI slots. It also had all of the then modern creature comforts: 5 PCIe slots (1 x16, 1 x16@x8 and three x1), SATA 2 and 3, USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports for days, eSATA, Firewire and dual gigabit LAN. It was an amazing board. I had mine paired with an i5-750 and it served me well for all of the years I used it as my main rig. Now my dad uses it for his work machine, I may trade him up to a faster machine so I can get that motherboard back, because I miss having it. Also forgot to mention, it still used a real BIOS, not that UEFI crap. IIRC, Gigabyte did eventually release a beta UEFI firmware for it, but I don't remember it being very stable and I reverted back to BIOS.

The only real flaw of the board is that it has too many option ROMs. The IDE controller, SATA 3 ports, eSATA and the PCH SATA 2.0 ports can't all be in RAID mode at the same time. The BIOS will give a warning message, but I never saw any issues in my setup when it happened, not to say it will cause problems configured differently.

Blog Entries

That's a nice board! Checks a lot of boxes.