Image Map Image Map

View Poll Results: Would you want one of these PCBs when I do a run of them (serious responses only)?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 60.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • Maybe

3 30.00%
  • Can I get a completed/tested board?

1 10.00%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Modified Sergey's floppy controller for quad floppy support

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ibmapc View Post
    I'm sorry if you've been treated poorly in any way. I do not seek to offend anyone. I saw great potential in your design.

I built a floppy controller that was designed by members of this forum years ago. It was developed around the same time as Sergey's and uses the same BIOS. I felt that it was a little to complicated and the board is quite crowded. I did not need the serial port on sergey's but I did want the DC37 that Chuck suggested. I would prefer the hard gold edge connector to avoid potential reliability issues.

Maybe I should have not jumped to withdraw my support so abruptly and again I apologize for any hard feelings I may have caused.
    See last post before this one about cost with hard gold (quote picture).. and apology accepted.. though you weren't the... main reason.. Mr. Document was. Tact is everything...
    Last edited by sorphin; August 5th, 2020 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    Does he actually get legit hard gold or just ENIG? If there's a board house that can do short runs hard gold for not crazy money that would be great
    I think Glitch uses PCBCART for the XT-IDE's as he does for other boards, If you search the forum he has mentioned the fab house he uses before, HARD gold is expensive for small runs but Glitch orders in large quantities to get the price down for HARD gold for the popular ORIGINAL XT-IDE's.
    The difference between HARD gold and ENIG is noticable by eye, I have cards fabbed by JLCPCB using ENIG and i'm very happy with them, Obviously HARD gold is best but in my opinion ENIG is fine too for a small run and hobbyist use.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    I think Glitch uses PCBCART for the XT-IDE's as he does for other boards, If you search the forum he has mentioned the fab house he uses before, HARD gold is expensive for small runs but Glitch orders in large quantities to get the price down for HARD gold for the popular ORIGINAL XT-IDE's.
    The difference between HARD gold and ENIG is noticable by eye, I have cards fabbed by JLCPCB using ENIG and i'm very happy with them, Obviously HARD gold is best but in my opinion ENIG is fine too for a small run and hobbyist use.
    pcbcart quotes w/ enig (saw no hard gold option) for 5 boards...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think it was PCBCART but could be wrong, It's been a while since i corresponded with Glitch, IIRC he spent a lot of money on a large run of boards to get the price down per board, $$ 1k+, I do remember him saying there was a 1 time tooling cost as well.

For such a small run of boards cost wise you're probably better off with jlcpcb and ENIG, HARD gold is expensive

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    I think it was PCBCART but could be wrong, It's been a while since i corresponded with Glitch, IIRC he spent a lot of money on a large run of boards to get the price down per board, $$ 1k+, I do remember him saying there was a 1 time tooling cost as well.

For such a small run of boards cost wise you're probably better off with jlcpcb and ENIG, HARD gold is expensive
    which was the plan since this wasn't going to be a 'thing'.anyone that diehard wants hard gold.. might want to go melt down some rings or something.. lol

Is there a DIY hard gold electroplate process? Serious question

7. Default

Is there a DIY hard gold electroplate process? Serious question
    probably.. more than i'd be willing to do.. lol.. I'll electroplate copper, etc.. but gold would still need a catalyst metal, acid, etc hence why gold plated jewelry has certain under metals.

"A strike layer (also known as a flash layer) is a very thin layer of nickel-plating that is adhered to the original metal piece. The nickel layer will improve the bond between the underlying surface and the gold. It also prevents contaminants from spoiling the gold plating tank, and it stops metals from mixing and possibly reacting negatively." so.. enig just ditches the electro..? lol
    Last edited by sorphin; August 6th, 2020 at 06:15 AM.

It would probably be too much to ask that HASL (solder basically) could act as the strike layer?

9. Default

It would probably be too much to ask that HASL (solder basically) could act as the strike layer?
    well, they use nickel for a reason it provides the best adhesion.. Tin/Lead won't.. (since it's an amalgum).. too hard to explain

noble metals, etc

https://www.quick-pcba.com/pcb-news/...d-plating.html

diy-guide-for-gold-plating-at-home
    https://www.goldplating.com/blogs/ne...lating-at-home

From what i've read for hard gold.. it has to be done before they bevel the bottom because there has to be a shorting bar between all fingers.
    Last edited by sorphin; August 6th, 2020 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sorphin View Post

From what i've read for hard gold.. it has to be done before they bevel the bottom because there has to be a shorting bar between all fingers.
    That much I know, but I'm not much into chemistry