Image Map Image Map

View Poll Results: Would you want one of these PCBs when I do a run of them (serious responses only)?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 66.67%
  • No

0 0%
  • Maybe

3 33.33%
  • Can I get a completed/tested board?

0 0%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Modified Sergey's floppy controller for quad floppy support

A couple of things I see with your layout

- the clearance between the IDC and socket for the 10uF bypass cap is really tight
    - how much clearance do you have between cards for those two vertical 10K resistors?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    So keep the second header and add the external DC37 connection as well. You wouldn't be the first to do so.
    I am 110% with Chuck here. Optional external floppies are very useful. I use an external 3.5" drive with My 5155 just because I don't like the way a non-original drive looks with it. I've even modified it to get power from the ribbon cable through the DC37.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ibmapc View Post
    I am 110% with Chuck here. Optional external floppies are very useful. I use an external 3.5" drive with My 5155 just because I don't like the way a non-original drive looks with it. I've even modified it to get power from the ribbon cable through the DC37.
    Got a pinout for this 37 pin deal? Never used one and i'd rather not trace out my 5150/5160.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    A couple of things I see with your layout

- the clearance between the IDC and socket for the 10uF bypass cap is really tight

That's sergey's doing? from the original.

- how much clearance do you have between cards for those two vertical 10K resistors?
    it'd fit 1/8w 10k maybe 1/4w.. they're needed as pullups for the 74125.. kicad won't let me move things without completely redrawing traces.. (diptrace does, but kicad -> diptrace doesn't go right).. i'd rather have used diff resistors but it was hard enough to make room for those without even more significant reroutes.

Quote Originally Posted by sorphin View Post
    it'd fit 1/8w 10k maybe 1/4w.. they're needed as pullups for the 74125.. kicad won't let me move things without completely redrawing traces.. (diptrace does, but kicad -> diptrace doesn't go right).. i'd rather have used diff resistors but it was hard enough to make room for those without even more significant reroutes.
    Do you have enabled the option that lets you drag traces and automatically nudge groups of them around, etc, instead of making each little segment set in stone? I forget the name of said option but it was disabled by default when I installed it last year.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Do you have enabled the option that lets you drag traces and automatically nudge groups of them around, etc, instead of making each little segment set in stone? I forget the name of said option but it was disabled by default when I installed it last year.
    Probably not.. this was/is literally the first time i've used kicad.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sorphin View Post
    Got a pinout for this 37 pin deal? Never used one and i'd rather not trace out my 5150/5160.
    Easy, right out of the PC techref:
    Attached Files Attached Files

8. Default

Easy, right out of the PC techref:
    Thanks. Modified it to have a 37 pin external option. Have to move the 2nd internal connector slightly and no mounting hole room now.. I'll push it up tomorrow.. Any other notes?

Blog Entries

Well, you might save some space by rotating the 2nd connector 90 degrees and positioning it right in front of the DC37, since the signal lines are essentially straight across. Just a thought...

10. Default

Well, you might save some space by rotating the 2nd connector 90 degrees and positioning it right in front of the DC37, since the signal lines are essentially straight across. Just a thought...
    How's this?
    Attached Images Attached Images