Image Map Image Map

View Poll Results: Would you want one of these PCBs when I do a run of them (serious responses only)?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 64.29%
  • No

0 0%
  • Maybe

3 21.43%
  • Can I get a completed/tested board?

2 14.29%
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Modified Sergey's floppy controller for quad floppy support

Default Modified Sergey's floppy controller for quad floppy support

Hello all,

(Let me preface this first that kicad is new to me, I use diptrace normally)

Due to the need to support multiple floppy drives for a 486 machine that I built and being unable to find any floppy controllers that actually support more than 2 drives or that properly support secondary controller duty I decided to take a stab at modifying Sergey's controller to support four drives since his BIOS already supports it and the chip already supports it. Here is a link to the GitHub with the modified files and the gerbers. I would appreciate it if anyone (especially Sergey) can take a peek at it and see if they see that if there's anything that I have missed or may not work. I have modified it to add the second connector as well as selecting between two addresses, two DMAs, and four irqs. Removed the serial port functions. If it looks good I was planning on doing a small run for myself but I will have some extra boards if anyone is interested. I know it doesn't look elegant, as long as it works.

Github link: https://github.com/sorphin/Modified_...orQuadFloppies

Renders and new schematic attached.

Thanks,
    sorphin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sorphin; August 1st, 2020 at 04:12 AM.

Blog Entries

Given the limited space inside a case, I'm wondering why floppies 3 and 4 weren't brought out on a rear-bracket connector, say a DC37F. The 9 pin connector doesn't seem to go anywhere.

what's the purpose of allowing other IRQ and DMA than 6/2? I don't think there is any software out there that will accept that (except maybe the windows NT floppy driver?)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Given the limited space inside a case, I'm wondering why floppies 3 and 4 weren't brought out on a rear-bracket connector, say a DC37F. The 9 pin connector doesn't seem to go anywhere.
    also this - digikey sells premade DC-37 slot brackets too

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...00-5-ND/317287

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    what's the purpose of allowing other IRQ and DMA than 6/2? I don't think there is any software out there that will accept that (except maybe the windows NT floppy driver?)
    22Disk etc. has always had provisions for alternate port, IRQ and DMA. So there's that. My old copying utility, SyDupe could take advantage of that and run three diskette copies simultaneously.

My case is a tower with enough drive bays. 9 pin conn was left for mounting bracket and is optional to use a normal keystone just like sergeys original.

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    because flexibility.. if i'm going to do this.... see the thread where someone added an original one and had to change dma due to conflict... and rewire.. this makes that easier. *shrug*

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sorphin View Post
    My case is a tower with enough drive bays. 9 pin conn was left for mounting bracket and is optional to use a normal keystone just like sergeys original.
    So keep the second header and add the external DC37 connection as well. You wouldn't be the first to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by sorphin View Post
    Keystone makes a standard bracket for the DC-37 also, see the link I posted above.

22Disk etc. has always had provisions for alternate port, IRQ and DMA. So there's that. My old copying utility, SyDupe could take advantage of that and run three diskette copies simultaneously.
    Ok I remember using 22disk with port 370 but must have overlooked the DMA and IRQ options