Image Map Image Map

Thread: Is this possible???

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Default Is this possible???

Going through an 8tb external hard drive. I have, so I thought, the contents of 2 older 320gb drives deposited in 2 separate folders. I check 1, 188gb of crappola. I check the other - 1.35mb. I check individual folders, lots of them, folders within folders within folders and so on. But NO files. Did a little gremlins log in and erase them all?

Blog Entries

The 1.35MB size is the clue, incompatible file system storage limits gotcha of some sort. Which system(s) stored which "folders"?

Access the 2nd folder from the original creating system, if possible.

The files were originally stored on a vista laptop. I still have the hd, assuming it isn't banged up. Both hds were created under vista. Different makes (hp and Toshiba). Iirc both had the same Turion 2.2ghz processors, not that it makes a difference. There are no compatibility issues that I can tell. The drives were copied over via a usb box, by a lt running w10 home.
    Last edited by tipc; August 3rd, 2020 at 03:44 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    The files were originally stored on a vista laptop. I still have the hd, assuming it isn't banged up. Both hds were created under vista. Different makes (hp and Toshiba). Iirc both had the same Turion 2.2ghz processors, not that it makes a difference. There are no compatibility issues that I can tell. The drives were copied over via a usb box, by a lt running w10 home.
    Wouldn't have 32/64 compatibility issue would you?
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

my first thought was a zip-bomb.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_bomb
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Which machine did you format the drive on? Different OS's also have different partition sizes.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Wouldn't have 32/64 compatibility issue would you?
    I don't know. Those processors sound lime 64 bits. Was Vista 32 bits?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    Which machine did you format the drive on? Different OS's also have different partition sizes.
    Dwight
    The original drive was stock Vista. The laptop used to copy it was stock 10 Home. The archive drive was supplies for Mac, I formatted it to ntfs w/the Win10 laptop.

Didn't I just hear thunder? Assuming the original drive is still readable, I may not get to look at it for at least around 24 hours. Don't like taking chances. I'm in the habit of making multiple backups on the same archive, so I may already have another copy of that same drive. But thunder ...

Quote Originally Posted by luckybob View Post
    my first thought was a zip-bomb.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_bomb
    Anything is possible, but it seems to have only affected that directory. And that laptop has _never_ been on the internet. Nor has the 8tb drive ever been connected indirectly to the internet. I frequently download files to a phone or tablet then transfer them over. It just seems like a long shot that a virus would infect anything. My surfing forays are pretty tame. Make that boring.