Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compaq Portable, Portable Plus, and Deskpro BIOS ROM J, 106265-002

Default Compaq Portable, Portable Plus, and Deskpro BIOS ROM J, 106265-002

So after a while of searching for a copy of just the bits, I decided to buy an entire motherboard to find this BIOS. I've got an O.G. Deskpro that's not exactly happy right now, so I can use it for troubleshooting that too.

As far as I know, it should work for Compaq Portable, Portable Plus, and Deskpro, and I believe it is the last version. I have not tested it in any of my systems, I just wanted to dump it and get it online because of Murphy's law.

compaq portable and deskpro 106265-002 Rom J.zip

phpvpH1MnPM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jafir View Post
    ... I decided to buy an entire motherboard to find this BIOS.
    For which Compaq ?

I have placed a copy of the BIOS at [here].

The motherboard is from a Deskpro, ASSY. NO. 000364-002

Will this work on original Deskpro 286? The 8/6MHz, 2550 model? It has two EPROM chips on the Magnus memory board.

I don’t believe so.

I don’t believe so.
    Can I ask for a favor while I have your attention? I started cleaning a very nasty mold infested Deskpro 286 model 2550 (6/8MHz). It now starts and tests the entire 2MB + 128KB, but complains about battery. I'll address that shortly.

What I need is a service manual of some sort if there is one. I didn't find anything on zero degrees or elsewhere.

My deskpro came with one floppy drive and the other 3 drive bays are empty. How can I cover them? How does the original Compaq cover looks like?

The floppy is on some rails, but it doesn't stop when pushed in. What would in normal conditions make it fixed in a position? Right now if I push it, it goes all the way in until it hits PSU.

Also, can I buy some compatible rails somewhere? How do people solve this?

Thank you for your help

Wish you would have said you were looking for just the bios. I have a spare portable plus board i could have read out the bios rom.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Wish you would have said you were looking for just the bios. I have a spare portable plus board i could have read out the bios rom.
    Does it have version J? My portables had B and C, and I think my deskpro has E or F, something like that.

I thought I posted here asking for it, but it may have just been on a facebook group instead I guess that will teach me to be more thorough. But having a spare system board isn't that bad of a thing, so I'm not too sad about it. Thanks for the offer!

I don't know of any manuals for the Deskpro online. I'm hoping someone that goes to Computer Reset will find one and upload it. There were LOTS of compaq portables and Deskpros when I went, and a fair bit of software too.

Assuming they didn't change anything from the original Deskpro to the 286, the floppy drives should be on massive metal rails. They are threaded in one spot to hold them in place. The original blanks are big trays with a faceplate on the front. You could probably try something generic, but it might require a little work to make everything line up.

phpk6Ie4GAM.jpg

phpV5syQyAM.jpg

I don't know of any manuals for the Deskpro online. I'm hoping someone that goes to Computer Reset will find one and upload it. There were LOTS of compaq portables and Deskpros when I went, and a fair bit of software too.
    Those folks have it, but didn't scan it for the people: http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/d...rations-Guide/