Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: have we figured out how to save a photo in it's proper orientation?

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Default have we figured out how to save a photo in it's proper orientation?

Typically an Android or iPhone issue. You rotate a photo but it refuses to stay in that orientation even after saving, e-nailing to yourself etc.

I have 1 solution but it probably isn't the best one.

The simplest solution would be to use a utility to strip the EXIF information, and then use an image editor to manually rotate the picture directly.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Well what I've been doing is rotating then cropping slightly. For ebay photos, where it sort of matters, the tiny bit cropped out may be beneficial, or even required (you really should crop your dirty socks out of that photo dude .

Blog Entries

I have a digicam set up as a sort of copy stand. Every once in awhile, it seems to think that I'm lying on my side. I run the result through gimp, but it is annoying. There's probably a setting in the camera setup menu that says "Don't do that".

Blog Entries

Later versions of GIMP (and presumably photoshop as well) will detect rotation data in the EXIF and ask if you want to use it or not, otherwise I find opening it in the editor, rotating it, saving it, rotating it to your preferred orientation and saving it again overwrote the rotation data to what it *should* be.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    The simplest solution would be to use a utility to strip the EXIF information, and then use an image editor to manually rotate the picture directly.
    I don't suppose the ability is built into any lightweight linux graphic viewing apps? Or a 3rd party Windows alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    Typically an Android or iPhone issue. You rotate a photo but it refuses to stay in that orientation even after saving, e-nailing to yourself etc.
    Never had that issue. What application are you using to view the rotated photo? Some applications read the EXIF data, some do not.

Also, why do you even have to rotate a photo? Can't you make it in the correct orientation from the outset?

Phones do it. I can't even remember the specific circumstances, but last week I took photos of an item I listed on ebay. One photo was upside down. I tried rotating and resaving, didn't make a difference. The original was inverted for whatever reason, and whatever I uploaded appeared upside down. As I said cropping the image then resaving caused it to appear right side up.

I see what you mean. It's the backend of ebay not taking care of the EXIF data in that case. I had similar issues with the image functions of PHP once. But it's not an issues caused by the smartphones, but by commonly used dumb software libraries for displaying the image.

Generally, for decades rotating meant shifting pixels. Since orientation sensors came up, the image data is always how it is read from the image sensor and the orientation instead saved in the EXIF data. Still many programs aren't able to handle that correctly.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    I don't suppose the ability is built into any lightweight linux graphic viewing apps? Or a 3rd party Windows alternative?
    Irfanview can rotate an image (JPEGs rotate losslessly in 90 degree increments with a plugin) and save with or without the original EXIF data, or reset the orientation flag.