Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP Updates?

Default Windows XP Updates?

Does anyone know if online Windows XP updated still work? My system downloaded a few automatically when I put XP SP3 on it, but if I go to check if there are any more I get error 0x80244019. Is there a fix for that or has Microsoft disabled XP updates?

Blog Entries

Install the lastest version of IE and try again.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

What's the latest version of IE for XP? I have 8 right now.

Blog Entries

8 is the newest. I think XP shipped with 6.x
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

There have been several threads about updates and activation on Winworld. In general, the consensus seems to be that SP3 plus IE 8 should let it grab any post SP3 updates and activate, but given that these all reside on Microsoft's servers, things can change day to day. I haven't tried that myself, so I don't know if there are any additional steps or if anything has changed recently.

There are some home made rollups, but it is a matter who do you trust? Some home made thing or decaying Microsoft servers?

Have you looked at WSUS offline? It's meant for server admins that look after Windows Server Update Services - downloading windows updates en mass, to a central server and deploying them across your network according to policies you set up. WSUS Offline does something similar but lives on a USB stick or can be copied to a network share. You let it download your required updates wherever you have broadband access and allows you to deploy on a device or network where bandwidth is limited etc.

The latest versions have dropped XP but the previous versions are all archived here:

https://download.wsusoffline.net/

If the original MS update servers still exist, then you should be able to download all existing XP updates to a USB stick or hard drive. The WSUS offline files are quite configureable, so if the MS update servers have altered, that could be taken into account. I used to use it as a server admin, or just as a quick way to update one laptop without having to wait for hours for MS update servers to scan/download/install etc.

Windows XP updates have the chicken and egg problem. Microsoft has over time changed the security on their update servers, which required more and more updates on Windows XP to be able to communicate with without having some error, usually security related.

By the time you have all of the required updates for WU to work, you're already going to have an almost fully updated Windows XP install.

Well it did do 130 updates, so hopefully that's all of them. It's not like it's going onto the web other than possibly to download a game update.

I do know that XP SP3 includes all pre-2007 updates already. If Service Pack 3 was already installed when the 130 updates were downloaded, you should be good to go.
    Vintage computer systems and peripherals I'm currently looking for:
    Any 386, 486 or Pentium-based IBM ThinkPad laptop, Any 386, 486 or Pentium-based Compaq LTE or Compaq Contura laptop, Any 8088/8086 or 286-based computer with a 3.5'' 1.44MB floppy drive (laptop or desktop is fine), Any Toshiba Libretto laptop running Windows 95, 98 or 2000, Commodore 1541 disk drive in working condition.

PM me if you are interested in selling any of these items to me. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TH2002 View Post
    I do know that XP SP3 includes all pre-2007 updates already. If Service Pack 3 was already installed when the 130 updates were downloaded, you should be good to go.
    You're right. It's probably all set.