Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: with: sempron,duron,Athlon,Athlon co socket A/462

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Default with: sempron,duron,Athlon,Athlon co socket A/462

Don't wound me.

The heading should read "wtb". New phone, had yet to disable my typing enhancer.

I've bought CPUs from this seller before and had good luck with him. He even replaced a DOA Sempron I bought from him.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/ccex/m.html

He has a few Athlon XP and Sempron parts for sale currently.

Thanks but I just can't see paying any kind of real money for moderately old stuff. I had already bought a cpu from Croatia, the seller didn't even bother to ship it until I bugged him/her. Just the other day it arrived to my utter amazement. Well, either mobo is dead (PC Chips), but I'm thinking it must be the cpu as it didn't warm up whatsoever, but other chips did. Could my memory be bad? Cpu should still warm up I think.

A forum member offered me some cpu's for shipping. I'll have several P4s, a circa 2000 celeron and a few more items maybe to offer, similar terms. It's so nice to unload some surplus stuff. And if successful, this will be my very first AMD build. I've had many laptops with amd cpus though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    Thanks but I just can't see paying any kind of real money for moderately old stuff. I had already bought a cpu from Croatia, the seller didn't even bother to ship it until I bugged him/her. Just the other day it arrived to my utter amazement. Well, either mobo is dead (PC Chips), but I'm thinking it must be the cpu as it didn't warm up whatsoever, but other chips did. Could my memory be bad? Cpu should still warm up I think.

A forum member offered me some cpu's for shipping. I'll have several P4s, a circa 2000 celeron and a few more items maybe to offer, similar terms. It's so nice to unload some surplus stuff. And if successful, this will be my very first AMD build. I've had many laptops with amd cpus though.
    Unqualified guess: Some funky caps on the mobo.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

I suppose it's possible. If I try out another cpu or two and no workee, I'll dir3ct my attention to that. Maybe I should change em anyway, huh?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post

I've been struggling with building some AT/ATX-based builds with a variety of CPUs, just for the hell of it. Failing ATX PSUs, unresponsive motherboards/CPUs with Duron/Athlon (XP/2) Socket-A/462. eBay nags me repeatedly about my lack of Feedback for related items, but what can I do when it takes weeks to get replacement failed components, or other projects take me away from my attempts at progress?

It seems I was under the false impression that the whole "clone" so-called standardisation with PC97 and later feature sets and USB is pretty much a myth fraught with many pitfalls.

Tell ebay to go suck an egg. Or whatever seems appropriate, and I'll leave that choice up to them.

Yeah, leave feedback, hopefully positive regardless of your experience. More commissions for them.

Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    I've been struggling with building some AT/ATX-based builds with a variety of CPUs, just for the hell of it. Failing ATX PSUs, unresponsive motherboards/CPUs with Duron/Athlon (XP/2) Socket-A/462. eBay nags me repeatedly about my lack of Feedback for related items, but what can I do when it takes weeks to get replacement failed components, or other projects take me away from my attempts at progress?

It seems I was under the false impression that the whole "clone" so-called standardisation with PC97 and later feature sets and USB is pretty much a myth fraught with many pitfalls.
    You're trying to build a retro rig from one of the worst times in computer history, everything from that era suffers from shoddy quality and the capacitor plague.

Pretty much every ATX power supply from that era is going to need recapping, as well as motherboards. I was given an old plotter server a week or two ago from that time frame and both the board and power supply had bloated and leaking caps all over them. I trashed the PSU because it was a no-name piece of garbage and recapped most of the motherboard and it works fine now. Well besides having a hole blown in it from the previous owner trying to plug an audio header into a Firewire header, the fuse detonated forcibly and went about halfway through the board. It surprisingly still works after cleaning up all of the soot, sans the Firewire header. At least I think it's a Firewire header, documentation on this motherboard is very poor because Transcend stopped making motherboards like 15 years ago and their support site went along with it.

But even stuff that works often ends up destroyed by idiot ebay sellers. I've never had luck getting any vintage of motherboard from Ebay because they get destroyed in shipping. The last board I tried to buy, the seller kept a 3-5 pound Zalman copper cooler mounted on the board and shoved it in a USPS medium flat rate box. It had basically touched on the top and bottom and I could see the marks where the box had been crushed. Needless to say, the board was dead and I got a refund.

Blog Entries

Well, I just received an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ CPU (socket AM2) from HK. Order was placed on 7/30; arrived 8/11; cost was USD$5.78 and even came with a packet of HS compound. Works fine.

I think you're selling the ebay experience a bit short.