Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: with: sempron,duron,Athlon,Athlon co socket A/462

Out of the dozens of motherboards I've bought from Ebay, that the sellers listed as "working", only one ever turned up working, and it died shortly after.

Memory modules are the same, sellers almost never test them. I've ordered hundreds of modules from different sellers and at least one always turns up with memory errors.

CPUs generally show up working, unless you buy an overclocked variant, then the chances of it working go way down. Like buying a used E6600 or Q6600 is playing Russian roulette because they were well known overclocking chips that were often overclocked to the moon and kept that way for years. For a good period of time, "high mileage" parts were being sold on ebay that either didn't work correctly, or died shortly after using because they were killed by the previous owner.

But that doesn't address the huge counterfeiting market on Ebay. CPUs in certain segments, like classic Athlons, Ryzen, 680x0 and other old chips are tampered with to remark them as more expensive variants. Back in the old days, counterfeits were easier to spot, but they've gotten way better at remarking chips. Modern Ryzen CPUs have notoriously been counterfeited by using cheap Bulldozer based Bristol Ridge APUs, sanding down the IHS and re-laser etching the part to any number of other things. Some of the cheaper counterfeiters will sand off part of the IHS and act like the CPU "was a used pull with some scuffing". These scumbags cycle through ebay accounts as they're caught and shut down, but you're often left holding the bag if the account is deleted before you can file a return, making the process far more difficult.

The "ebay experience" is like walking into an old wild west town with a raging gun battle going on and trying to get out alive.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Well a forum member, get this, sends me 10 cpus for shipping. TEN. I'm humbled and amazed. I've only tested 1 so far (and man do they get hot quick), but I assume the bulk if not all of them work. Many thanks to the sender. I'll list these soon and offer them to anyone that needs 1. For shipping.

My Croatian Athlon XP 2600+ also works. I was naive in not thinking there eas a 4 pin cpu power receptacle on something that old. Sure enough it booted right up, and with memory I can't say exactly how it became my possession. Nice to have spare parts. This is on the PC Chips m825g? mothetboard. Was surprised and elated to see it working. Now I need a case.

Now it comes to my attention that these boards are 5vdc hogs. And since modern power supplies are 5v anemic, simply installing a respectable gpu (as if I'd find one) could shut it all down. Oi vay.

Blog Entries

Same with the P4's of the era. I just use old 5v heavy power supplies and even found ones that work with dual Athlon XP's and a AGP Pro GPU.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

I don't know if these correspond to 478 or 775 cpu's. But my HP dc7600 has a tiny p/s. Ok it could have a beefy 5vdc rail I guess.

Curious if substituting a different regulator and a few other components in a recent p/s would take care of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    I don't know if these correspond to 478 or 775 cpu's. But my HP dc7600 has a tiny p/s. Ok it could have a beefy 5vdc rail I guess.

Curious if substituting a different regulator and a few other components in a recent p/s would take care of the problem.
    Entire sections of the PSU would have to be re-designed. A cheap potential solution would be to hang a beefy buck regulator off the 12v rail to get another 5v rail, but I don't know how that'd play with the PSU's existing 5v rail. You'd probably have to keep them separate.