Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: is any gpu better then no gpu?

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I have an ATI X1650 Pro 512 if you're interested.
    For a kitten? Or are you still looking for a goose?
    Last edited by tipc; August 13th, 2020 at 09:30 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    For an actual server board, I can understand bare minimum graphics performance (but this be ridiculous SuperO). Technically this is a workstation board as I see it (x11srm-f, m for uATX). .
    Ahh, yes I can see a bare minimum GPU for a workstation board too because in 99.9% of cases the end users are going to slam in a high end GPU such as an Nvidia Quadro for CAD. So similar to the server board they put in a bare minimum cheap GPU so their customers don't pay for something they don't need. And the specs on that board imply the GPU is primarily used for the BMC (baseboard management controller) which is used for remote management (think KVM over ethernet type thing), but for pre-os stuff such as remote install of an OS, remote recovery or BIOS setting changes.

Just buy a new low end GPU for ~$50 and you'll be able to do Video playback just fine and Windows performance will be greatly improved. Something like this will perform just fine for non-gaming applications.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

You're correct I guess. Something is still stinky about it to my nose.

Isn't that the 710 they just rereleased after a number of years? 55$ is too much lol, that's 55 I can put towards something more deadly. That's the way I look at things. There's a few old Asus boards nos on ebay for around 30$ shipped. Hd 4350 and another slightly newer thing.

Blog Entries

55$ is too much lol, that's 55 I can put towards something more deadly. That's the way I look at things. There's a few old Asus boards nos on ebay for around 30$ shipped. Hd 4350 and another slightly newer thing.
    Fair enough, my main point was that almost any reasonably modern GPU would probably be fine for most non-gaming applications. I have a GTX-260 if you want, yours for the shipping if you want, but it is a pretty old card.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

I'll take it. It beats an hd5450 by miles. When you have a shipping charge message me your paypal.

Blog Entries

I'll take it. It beats an hd5450 by miles. When you have a shipping charge message me your paypal.
    It's this card: https://www.evga.com/articles/00429/

PM Me your address. I am pretty sure I can shove it in a flat rate box, so I can't imagine it'd cost more than $25 to get it to you.

Works for me. Tanks a mill.

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    I am reasonably sure that Server 2016 and 2019 still support the Rage 128 and XL, or at least the basic VGA driver they use in those cases was written explicitly to support those GPUs.
    There is no driver support, Windows uses the generic VGA driver. This results in VERY slow video and high CPU usage because the CPU is having to do all of the rendering in software.

I don't think there are any Xeon CPUs that have built in GPUs, it would be a waste of resources.
    You'd be wrong there. LGA1155 Xeons are basically the same chip as their desktop counterparts and have the same IGP. There was no reason to use a separate graphics chip that was at the time over a decade older and orders of magnitude slower. Also, the board in question didn't have a Xeon, it had a regular i3-2100 because the board also accepted the use of desktop processors.

Honestly, it sounds like your use case was outside the design purpose of the board, so you had issues. This is why you generally don't use server boards for desktop use cases.
    You're coming to incorrect conclusions about very wrong assumptions you've made about what the server was being used for, and it was used as a server.

Not all servers are headless, or in a rack in some data center never to be touched by humans. Many servers are in back offices with monitors and often require user interaction, case and point, POS servers, which this board was used for briefly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    There is no driver support, Windows uses the generic VGA driver. This results in VERY slow video and high CPU usage because the CPU is having to do all of the rendering in software.
    That sounds about right, but I am pretty sure I was able to download a Rage driver from Windows update on a 2016 server, but then again that could have been 2012. I don't recall it was a while ago.

You'd be wrong there. LGA1155 Xeons are basically the same chip as their desktop counterparts and have the same IGP. There was no reason to use a separate graphics chip that was at the time over a decade older and orders of magnitude slower.
    Huh, you're right, there are Xeons with IGP built in, some Google searches found some. I honestly never knew that, you live and learn I guess.

You're coming to incorrect conclusions about very wrong assumptions you've made about what the server was being used for, and it was used as a server.

Not all servers are headless, or in a rack in some data center never to be touched by humans. Many servers are in back offices with monitors and often require user interaction, case and point, POS servers, which this board was used for briefly.
    Fair enough.

Blog Entries

For a kitten? Or are you still looking for a goose?
    Only if it's certified to lay the golden egg. BTW, those kittens are big kittens by now.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting