Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for a small a/c motor

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Default looking for a small a/c motor

Must be capacitor start. I'll skip any specifics as to h.p. rating and just say it should be approximately the size of an old style oil can (or Foster's Lager lol). For a small lathe, 5" swing over ways. Another long overdue project. 3000+ rpm. EOTM.

Single phase? Three phase? What voltage? How many watts?

If you're driving a lathe, you'll need something beefy. You'll also need a VFD of some sort because AC motors are either full speed or off.

Blog Entries

Dunno--a small DC motor with electronic control may be the better solution.

I've got a capacitor-start motor that's about the size of a jar of mayonnaise, but it's got a gearhead attached to get about 40 RPM. Most of my other small stuff is DC. I did find this one online.

Something like that might be appropriate. But scant on details. I'd at least need to know the duty cycle.

Blog Entries

Drop them an email--I've found that their response was pretty quick. There's stuff on the nameplate that I can't make out, but they'd probably be happy to read it off for you.

Yea I tried to read the plate also.

I should go dc. The pulleys are set up for an ac motor, so changing speeds isn't an issue. It's just plug and play with ac.

Blog Entries

Is this for your Maximat I think you have? I would echo Chuck and go with a DC motor, and there are well-priced beefy PWM motor controllers available on the usual place (and from the usual place).

I almost owned a 7" Maximat a month or so ago. Bus alas no. This is for a 5" Edelstaal Machinex 5. Just a rinky dink hobby lathe I picked up nos.

DC is enticing. But you need a controller. I'm open to suggestions. My EMCO F1 mill has a 95vdc motor but I scrapped the electrics long ago. My Prazi SD-300 also needs a motor. To power the mill I was thinking of using a variac and a rudimentary rectifier circuit. I havr a 10 amp variac.

I went shopping for a variable speed dc motor controller some time ago. I was terribly sure of what I was looking at. I suppose I could just scavenge an unwanted treadmill.

I have an older Sherline lathe with the original dimmer circuit speed control. I've been using a variac on it as a speed control and it works fine. I thought of improving the speed control as the motor is a AC/DC type motor. Since the variac works well enough, it has not been high on my project list.
    Dwight

Brass or steel ways?