Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In a pickle: EarhLink dropping Atlanta DSL

Blog Entries

In my case, it's "up to" and "average". I'm still on a 20Mbit VDSL2+ connection and get about 26Mbit/sec from it, according to SpeedTest. The downside is that the uplink speed is still 1.5Mbit/sec.

Quote Originally Posted by rittwage View Post
    Keep in mind, the speeds that AT&T quote (and probably downstream resellers) are "up to". They do not guarantee the speed that it says in the marketing. They don't even have any idea what you will get.
    Sigh. I don't actually care what the speed is, I need to know what kind of connection it is, what kind of equipment I'll need, what changes I will need to make, and at least what the "rated" speed is. For example, if it is still "DSL", then there is no actual reason I can't just buy my own DSL "modem" from Microcenter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    . . . then there is no actual reason I can't just buy my own DSL "modem" from Microcenter.
    Beware that it is the norm for most service providers to require an 'approved' modem/router. Some will require you to pay for their modem/router regardless of whether you use it or not. I was able to use the Motorola AC1900 from Best Buy on my xFinity lash-up, but it had to be 'installed' by someone in the Philippines.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

True that. The VDSL modems here have CenturyLink firmware and the CL tech people refuse to say if the generic software will work. Two curious things, however. The only "approved" modems on their list incorporate a hub and Wifi also, so I run mine with those features disabled. I want control over my distribution and Wifi. Second curious thing is that CL notices if you change modems and won't continue until you "register" it with them.

Third is never purchase a modem through your DSL provider. They'll charge you full new price for returned/refurbed ones. I've found used ones with the proper firmware for a fraction of the Telco's price.

FWIW, it appears that AT&T is grandfathering all DSL accounts effective Oct. 1st.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32...BEFORE-October

Well, the AT&T tech came out here and hooked up the new stuff. It does still come in through the phone line, although it is wired as essentially what would be "line 2", not the regular phone line. And as far as I can tell they didn't change anything with the POTS telephone, thankfully. He confirmed that this is indeed "VDSL" and that fiber is not available at this location, although they have it across the freaking road.

Now I'll have to figure out how to configure/reconfigure everything.

Supposedly this service is supposed to have 25MBS download and 3MBPS upload but I'm only seeing about 1.7 up on speedtest. Guess I'll have to fiddle with that too.

Posted over VDSL from Microsoft Windows 95

Blog Entries

The "up to" clause kicks in on upload speed, believe me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Well, the AT&T tech came out here and hooked up the new stuff. It does still come in through the phone line, although it is wired as essentially what would be "line 2", not the regular phone line. And as far as I can tell they didn't change anything with the POTS telephone, thankfully. He confirmed that this is indeed "VDSL" and that fiber is not available at this location, although they have it across the freaking road.

Now I'll have to figure out how to configure/reconfigure everything.

Supposedly this service is supposed to have 25MBS download and 3MBPS upload but I'm only seeing about 1.7 up on speedtest. Guess I'll have to fiddle with that too.

Posted over VDSL from Microsoft Windows 95
    Have you seen this: https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/char...supreme-court/

Probably doesn't affect you now but makes for interesting reading.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting