Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Basement full of DEC parts, PDP-5, PDP-8, DEC 55, and more

Blog Entries

Oh neat, an IBM 029 card punch terminal.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

The Rhode Island Computer Museum is very interested in the PDP-5. It would fit in nicely with the rest of our DEC collection.

It looked like some of the paper tapes were for a PDP-7. That software should run on the RICM PDP-9.
    Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
    http://www.ricomputermuseum.org

Quote Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
    The Rhode Island Computer Museum is very interested in the PDP-5. It would fit in nicely with the rest of our DEC collection.
    Start a go-fund-me. He's not interested in making donations.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    Start a go-fund-me. He's not interested in making donations.
    Good idea.
    Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
    http://www.ricomputermuseum.org

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Huisman View Post
    Oh dear... If I bought that house I would have placed my bed into the basement!

Roland
    Come ON Roland... surely a better choice would be to move it all upstairs to your bedroom so the DEC gear is in a warmer dryer environment.

LOL

What a peace of history that is.

You can make a lot of people happy.
    Some items I see needs to go to places that can really take care, and lot off stuff can go to the ones that just want to get it going again
    and have fun with it, instead of a basement again.

worthy? Prices go up, but it is your choice what to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MauriceH View Post
    worthy? Prices go up, but it is your choice what to do with it.
    Hi Maurice,

I think that it is very hard to determine a price for that stuff...
    Sure for the PDP8/i and PDP8/L is some sale history to be found...

But for the rest I would not have a clue because it seems to be all in bits and pieces.
    For the PDP5 you really need to know what was originally in that system.
    You can pay $$$$ for it now and end up with a pile of parts and an incomplete
    PDP5 which will never work.

Al said to go start a "go fund me" but I haven't heard any prices...

So I think he should put it on Epay when he wants to have the most money for it.
    It is his material and he can only sell it once. So don't let museums or collectors
    think they can expect a donation when that is not the case. I think it is a smart
    way to get the attention trough the forum to sell it in the end...

And I think the highest bidder would take good care for it. But I think the price
    might be on the low side. It is impossible to ship that stuff and there are just a
    few local collectors with big money and a lot of space... So we will see where this ends.

But oh boy, what a beautiful stuff... Here in the Netherlands is a PDP5 in a museum as well!

Regards, Roland
    WTB: Case for Altair 8800 ...... Rolands Github projects

Roland your right.

What I mean is Go for the money
    Or go for just some money and make
    people happy.

Like de pdp5 only as mentioned a
    museum with knowladge and the
    means of showing it in at the and as a working peace
    of history.

Then of course the software.
    As you in an other equipment found some great
    software.

I also still have a obligation to collectors
    to contribute the Datapoint 1800
    software.
    If ever I found a mean to get it to
    a modern computer.

I am working on that.
    But if really needed they can send me some 8 inch FFDs and I put it right on them.

The problem with a find like this is that the only real value it has is what someone is willing to pay for it. In the mid 80's when I bought my Straight 8, I rescued it from its intended fate with a scrap dealer. I paid the school 14 cents per pound for it and hauled it away myself. I have no idea what scrap prices are on stuff like this today. No scrap dealer will come get it unless you have a loading dock. And they will charge you to come haul it away so what you end up with is a lot less. Without a loading dock you will have to pay someone to come haul it away. And that is probably the situation here. The options for finds like this are:
    1. Find a buyer or buyers.
    2. Donate to a museum if you can find one that will haul it away in exchange for some sort of tax credit.
    3. Let hobbyists pay you something and haul it away.
    4. Let hobbyists haul it away.
    5. Pay someone to haul it away.
    Those are ordered in order of most preferable to least preferable from the owners standpoint.

I would personally make the approximately 1500 mile trip to look through it and hand pick the things I want to preserve. This would probably be just select DECtapes and paper tapes. Original DEC distribution media. But I can't afford to take any of the big and heavy hardware, I have no extra room to store it. My 8/i is in the garage and I am not happy with that. This stuff is terribly difficult to move without causing harm to it.

Some of you are probably thinking but that PDP-5 is so rare as to be priceless. And while true the fact is that if you want to get something for it today you will find that it has negative value being located where it currently is. Given a week or two you might change that to zero value by finding hobbyists willing to haul it away. Selling on EBay for several months might get you a couple thousand dollars but probably not. Moving it is a real problem. When mainframes were common there were companies dedicated to moving them safely. Those companies no longer exist and you couldn't afford it if they did. It is easy to justify a $20000 shipping charge for a million dollar computer. It doesn't compute for this situation.

I don't have the answer. But if he is in a hurry to clear it out (and what house flipper isn't?) then the least expensive way to clear it out is to start with #3 and work your way down the list. Finding a buyer could take months to years. Museums could take even longer.

Best wishes!
    Doug Ingraham
    2nd owner of Straight 8 SN1173
    5 other PDP-8's including an 8/i and a DECSet 8000
    SOL-20

Since Jack hasn't posted here, he went out there, and the seller will be working on the house for a year
    and is in no hurry to sell anything.