Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: 8 Bit ISA VGA Card for IBM 5150 Motherboard

Default WTB: 8 Bit ISA VGA Card for IBM 5150 Motherboard

WTB: 8 Bit ISA VGA Card that will defiantly work in an IBM 5150 Motherboard.

If you can please post a picture of what you have for sale. Thanks

Per [here], some 16-bit VGA cards are known to work with the 5150 motherboard.
    Are you specifically after 8-bit cards, or are 16-bit cards acceptable too ?

Your chances are raising massively if you replace the 8088 by a NEC V20. The issue is not so much the motherboard but the VGA BIOS of many 8-bit capable cards using 286 instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    Per [here], some 16-bit VGA cards are known to work with the 5150 motherboard.
    Are you specifically after 8-bit cards, or are 16-bit cards acceptable too ?
    Well I guess I just need one that will work for a reasonable price.

I've got a 5150 Motherboard that I'd like to sell, but it hasn't been Tested and I don't have any Video Cards that I can use to perform the Test.

I don't feel right putting it up for sale without knowing that it actually works.

Any Trident TVGA8900C based VGA card will work in a 5150. Though designed as a 16 bit ISA card, they will autodetect when installed in an 8 bit slot. The generic board layout and jumper settings for this card can be found at https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphic...VGA-8900C.html

These cards are plentiful on eBay, and relatively inexpensive.

Blog Entries

Of course, you need a later BIOS that recognizes extension ROMs. The first 5150 BIOS ROMs didn't have that ability.

Quote Originally Posted by hmb View Post
    Any Trident TVGA8900C based VGA card will work in a 5150.
    How do you know that?
    For example, for all we know, some Taiwanese company designed/produced a TVGA8900C based VGA card, targeted it for 16-bit machines only, and put 80286 instructions in the card's BIOS.

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    How do you know that?
    For example, for all we know, some Taiwanese company designed/produced a TVGA8900C based VGA card, targeted it for 16-bit machines only, and put 80286 instructions in the card's BIOS.
    Fair enough - I cannot say for certain that hasn't happened. I recently went through the process of finding a VGA card for my 5150, and ended up with two cards that both worked. One was the TVGA8900C based card (which I will describe in more detail). The other was an ATI VGA Wonder-16 which despite its name works perfectly in a 5150 as long as it has a BIOS ROM version of 3 or earlier - unfortunately ATI's early "VGA Wonder" cards are both harder to find and more expensive that the more common early-model Trident cards.

The TVGA8900C card that I know works with a 5150 (with a later BIOS, as pointed out above by Chuck) is a fairly common configuration that has the identifier "8916CX2/4/8 LC2 REV A", has two Quadtel BIOS ROMS (version C2.11), and has the jumper layout shown at https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphic...VGA-8900C.html .
    There is a very similar version of this card with a single Quadtel BIOS ROM (version 3). It retains the same jumper layout (including the 8/16 bit bus detect jumper) of the card I mentioned above. However, I have not personally tested this version of the card on a 5150.
    Pictures of both versions are shown at http://old.vgamuseum.info/home/214-t...vga-8900c.html
    Usually there are several of both versions listed on eBay at point in time.

According to its manual the Trident TVGA 8900D apparently works in a PC or XT (no personal experience). The 8900D card has two sets of jumpers: one for 8/16 bit bus selection, the other for 8/16 bit BIOS detection.
    Last edited by hmb; August 29th, 2020 at 04:02 PM.

I have a Hercules 8_bit VGA card.

Photo to follow.