Image Map Image Map

Thread: Ibm 5170 os similar

Default Ibm 5170 os similar

hi I purchased 4 old computers last week and one appears to be either a clone or a IBM 5170 it looks the same but the front is a little different . it does not have a hard drive and I dont think its had one . It has 2 x 5.25 floppy drives .There is no names or tags or part numbers any where on it .The motherboard is a Sx-136 8mhz Turbo Its a big board .It does not have a video card in it , but otherwise it looks very clean .The front has horizontal vent type lines across it .
    If anyone has any info on it it would be great .It may be an Australian model as I am in Australia

Sorry the IBM computer is 4170 Not a 5170

Quote Originally Posted by frankie 6 View Post
    So the subject computer looks like an IBM 4170? Out of curiosity, I searched the Internet for IBM 4170 but did not find such a computer. Where did you get "4170" from?

Blog Entries

If it isn't an IBM PCJX, we'll need to see some photos.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

It sounds like it's just a generic AT clone; machines that aped the general look of the 5170 were a dime a dozen in the middle-late 80's.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Generic "no-name" clones were fairly common back in the day. People who wanted custom machines, either something more powerful or on a budget, would buy individual parts and assemble it themselves. If it is in good condition, they can be quite desirable and ocasionally may have special components installed.

If you plan to sell it, it is VERY important to include photos of all components inside, and list any motherboard/card/drive part numbers since there will be nothing external.

If you have any problems identifying individual parts, just post some photos here and certainly someone can help.

Quote Originally Posted by frankie 6 View Post
    I dont know where I got the 4170 from it is the same as a 5170 I have to try and shrink the pic size down to post them . You will have to excuse my lack of Knowledge on this type of forum as I work full time doing specially set up Windows 10 computers with a lot of Identity theft type problems .I have done the old computers back 20 odd years ago ,but was not as knowledgeable or had enough time then