Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In search of game seen only on Data General Eclipse

Blog Entries

Well, consider it a badly-considered suggestion. I don't know of many other folks who have a running setup like the OP wants to use.

I can relate to the OP, however. Probably no working remnants of systems that I used to use--and some probably don't even exist in the form of emulation.

Gather ye rosebuds...

Quote Originally Posted by vldmrrr View Post
    Thank you for your kind offer. My plan was to run it on some actual vintage hardware that I have. Of course, for me it would be a dream to run it on Dasher terminal connected to DG Eclipse - well, likely will never happen. Given that the basic source is available, it would be a joy on its own to make it run on some other system in hand, maybe on CP/M, or on OS/278 on Decmate.
    But if that is not too much of a trouble, publishing the collection you describe would certainly be very much worthy contribution to community here.
    If you would like to play with a ready-to-run environment, here's a Google Drive link to version 1.5a of my complete classic 3000 distribution:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vKq...vf5w9b9nqKNLpg

This is an 8MB HP 3000 Series III+ (the original only supported up to 2MB) circa 1979 with five HP 7925 disks loaded with MPE V/R from 1986, a massive amount of Contributed Software Library contents including many of the most iconic computer games (Advent, Dungeon (Zork), TREK73, Empire, Mystery Mansion, DROID, Warp, etc.) as well as the APL, BASIC, BASICOMP, COBOL, COBOL II, RPG, SPL, and FORTRAN 66 language subsystems, IMAGE database, etc. It makes quite a nice little personal mainframe (ok, it was a minicomputer but it looks pretty good functionality wise alongside the big hardware of the day being very user friendly and approachable in comparison). The MAME HP 2645A and HP 2641A are bundled in and only a double-click away. It's completely turnkey and set up to be ready to run. See the README.txt for instructions. Requires Windows.

You could log in and run TREK after starting the system up with:

:HELLO MGR.GAMES
    :RUN TREK73

If you want the original HP terminal experience at 9600 baud (four times faster than the original hardware actually supported) then once the system is up, double-click the Start_HP2645A_terminal.bat file and that will get you a MAME emulated HP 2645A terminal from 1976. Log in and run as above.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
    If you would like to play with a ready-to-run environment, here's a Google Drive link to version 1.5a of my complete classic 3000 distribution:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vKq...vf5w9b9nqKNLpg
    Thank you. Downloaded and will give it a try this night. I was never exposed to this line of computers, so it would be interesting to learn about the whole system as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
    You could log in and run TREK after starting the system up with:
    :HELLO MGR.GAMES
    :RUN TREK73
    Gosh, this was more complicated than I remember. Here is the end of my first encounter today:
    KIRK: CODE [1-30(29=LIST)]
    **TIME**
    :: 6 ::
    HIT 39 ON LEXINGTON'S SHIELD 3
    TUBE 2 DAMAGED.
    :: 8 ::
    HIT 38 ON LEXINGTON'S SHIELD 3
    TUBE 3 DAMAGED.
    :: 5 ::
    HIT 36 ON LEXINGTON'S SHIELD 3
    TUBE 6 DAMAGED.
    TUBE 5 DAMAGED.
    TUBE 4 DAMAGED.
    :: 10 ::
    HIT 37 ON LEXINGTON'S SHIELD 3
    PHASER 2 DAMAGED.
    TUBE 1 DAMAGED.
    :: 4 ::
    HIT 28 ON LEXINGTON'S SHIELD 3
    PHASER 4 DAMAGED.
    :: 12 ::
    HIT 37 ON LEXINGTON'S SHIELD 4

STARFLEET COMMAND: WE HAVE RECEIVED CONFIRMATION THAT THE
    U.S.S. LEXINGTON, CAPTAINED BY KIRK, WAS DESTROYED
    BY KLINGON BATTLE CRUISERS. MAY FUTURE FEDERATION
    OFFICERS PERFORM BETTER IN THEIR DUTIES.

SURVIVORS REPORTED:
    LEXINGTON-- 0
    VARNOR-- 350
    CENTAUR-- 350

COMPUTER: DO YOU WISH TO PLAY AGAIN?
    I am getting old. My rating is harmless

Quote Originally Posted by vldmrrr View Post
    I am getting old. My rating is harmless
    No way. The old guard holds to his pride
    STARFLEET COMMAND: CAPTAIN KIRK OF THE STARSHIP WASP HAS
    OUT-MANEUVERED TELLERITE AGGRESSORS. WE COMMEND HIS
    TACTICAL ABILITY.