Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS/2 port on Pentium motherboard

Default PS/2 port on Pentium motherboard

Hi, recently bought a Asus P/I-P55TP4XE motherboard, 166mhz Pentium as my first proper rebuild project.

When I received it, I saw that it doesn't have a PS/2 port, only a space where I assume you would add one? (see pics)

Now, I'm a newbie, and I've never had to deal with something like this. How would I go about adding a PS/2 port to this thing?

Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is this what I'm looking for?

https://www.amazon.com.au/StarTech-c.../dp/B0002AFZV2

*edit: upon further inspection, I can see that the plug in the above link has 10 holes, where as the motherboard has 8/6 pins. Still not sure though...

In theory that's what you're looking for. Even though the plug itself has 10 pins, only 4 are connected. The problem is ensuring that the pinout on the motherboard matches with the pinout on the plug of the adapter. I have a Soyo SY-5TF5 motherboard that has a PS/2 connector just like the one in your motherboard but it doesn't work with the PS/2 port bracket that I have tried it with. As soon as I move the mouse the computer just freezes. Still haven't investigated much but I'm sure it's just a matter of getting the pinout to match between the port and the connector on the motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by conradspitfire View Post
    Now, I'm a newbie, and I've never had to deal with something like this. How would I go about adding a PS/2 port to this thing
    The pins are identical for DIN and PS/2 ports, which is why there are passive adapter cables. To get a PS/2 port, you can just measure the mainboard header pins against the existing DIN socket to get the pinout. Then, just connect a MiniDIN connector to the header (and put it on a bracket).

This should work for PS/2 keyboards, but it depends on the keyboard controller whether it will support mice (or two devices simultaneously).

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for my ignorance, but I really don't understand what you mean (again, I'm a newbie). I intend to connect a PS/2 mouse if I can, I think it should be possible (as it shows "PS/2 Mouse" on the motherboard itself, you can see it in the photo).
    I really was hoping to find some sort of adapter/cable/something that I could connect to the motherboard pins seen in the photo, and that would end in a standard PS/2 port.
    I found this link: https://flaterco.com/kb/Pentium/index.html that shows someone dealing with a similar problem, using an adapter, but I can't seem to find one like that...

I intend to connect a PS/2 mouse if I can, I think it should be possible (as it shows "PS/2 Mouse" on the motherboard itself, you can see it in the photo).
    If it is listed on the board, then the keyboard controller (which handles all PS/2 ports) should support mice. For keyboards, the old DIN and the new PS/2 connectors are identical electrically.

I really was hoping to find some sort of adapter/cable/something that I could connect to the motherboard pins seen in the photo, and that would end in a standard PS/2 port.
    You listed something on Amazon, and that is exactly what you need... however, I don't think there ever was a standard pinout for the mainboard pin headers. So you need to figure out which of the mainboard pins goes where on the MiniDIN (PS/2) connector.

Blog Entries

Actually, I think THIS is what you need. The pins appear to match the layout on your board. Unfortunately, this seller only sells them in qty of 10, but, the price is not bad. Of coarse, you'll need some soldering skills and a decent iron, but not that tough if you get something to practice on. Hey, you'll get 10 of the connectors so 9 of them can be sacrificed!}

Blog Entries

That was a common problem with later AT (not ATX) boards. My first boards with PS/2 mouse connections required an external cable to a bracket. Later boards sat a mini-DIN connector for the mouse next to the DIN connector for the keyboard--but to use it, the case had to have the correct hole for the mini-DIN. Your motherboard is sort of a transitional model, where it might normally be sold with the mini-DIN where the header was, but optionally provided with a header when a matching case cutout wasn't possible. See this photo of the Amptron PM-8600 as an example of the mini DIN+DIN connector.

And there's nothing preventing you from using a serial mouse (assuming you have a serial-card for it). They're kinda hard to find, (though Amazon appears to have a few) but it may be safer than guessing about the correct cable/adapter.

This is the pinout for your Asus PS/2 header on the right:

1329676968.or.15360.jpg

You can buy the linked startech product and repin the connector to match

Just say no to crappy serial mouses