Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PS/2 port on Pentium motherboard

Blog Entries

"Crappy serial mouses"? Don't buy crappy mouses.

I've got a very expensive ($200+) serial-interface trackball. Works fine, as it has for 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    "Crappy serial mouses"? Don't buy crappy mouses.

I've got a very expensive ($200+) serial-interface trackball. Works fine, as it has for 25 years.
    Maybe I'm crazy but I've never had a serial mouse that felt as smooth as a ps/2 one, my understanding was the sampling rate was limited by the interface. It's not just me either, people have been reporting similar experiences across the internet for years.

If it's not a physical limitation of the interface, then most serial pointing devices on market must be really sub par

Blog Entries

I suppose it depends on how you use it. Pointing to a line of text or checking a box, fine. And there were some really dreadful serial versions (I have a few).

One of the problems with any mouse of that time period (ball-type) is that they pick up all sorts of crud from the desktop and eventually stop working correctly. Of course, you can disassemble them and clean the gunk off of everything, but why bother? Some scroll mice even had the scroll wheel turn to goo with age.

I've always kept my ball mouses clean, I'm comparing apples to apples as best I can. Properly maintained ps/2 mouse beats properly maintained serial mouse

It's not just about games either, pointer smoothness is very important to me in a high resolution GUI environment

I already had a problem with the old baby AT motherboard, the Ps / 2 connector was not standard, they were all reversed, I burned 3 mice, I put the connector wires back in the right direction , + 5v and gnd, D + and D- and after it worked, we had to check the + 5v and GND with a multimeter, we find the pins of the PS / 2 port on the internet