Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Seagate ST-225 type 2 hard drive

Yes. The self-test is always performed. It does quite a strong TAKA-TAKA-TAKA and the stepper motor moves rapidly in the end without noise.

Quote Originally Posted by tonata View Post
    Yes. The self-test is always performed. It does quite a strong TAKA-TAKA-TAKA and the stepper motor moves rapidly in the end without noise.
    So we know that the microprocessor on your ST-225 can move the heads. (Which is what I expected.)

You see a 1701 error with the drive disconnected, and do not see the 1701 when the drive is connected. One of the things that suggests to me is that at computer power-on time, the IBM/Xebec controller is seeing the drive 'ready' when the drive is addressed.

With the control and data cables connected, if you monitor pin 22 (READY) of the control connector with a multimeter, and then power on the computer, I expect that you will see pin 22 normally high (about +3V on my ST-225) and then at some point during the POST (when the controller addresses [selects] the drive for an operation), see pin 22 go low for less than a second.

So pin 22 is +3.10V and it only goes down to 1.x(or less) just before loading BASIC. I do not put floppy. It says no floppy, then I press F1 and then after a second or two it goes down and BASIC appears immediately. But not before that.
    Last edited by tonata; September 11th, 2020 at 01:57 PM.

So pin 22 is +3.10V and it only goes down to 1.x(or less) just before loading BASIC. I do not put floppy. It says no floppy, then I press F1 and then after a second or two it goes down and BASIC appears immediately. But not before that.
    Maybe your multimeter does not show narrow pulses like mine does.

But another way for you to confirm that the READY line is being asserted by the ST-225 is to:

1. Power off the ST-225.
    2. Remove the jumper that you have on the 'drive-select 0' pins.
    3. Ground (by whatever means you have) the pin shown highlighted in the photo at [here]. The ST-225 will now think that the controller always has it selected.
    4. With the control cable still connected, power on the ST-225.
    5. Iitially, you will see the READY line HIGH, but later, when the ST-225 decides that it is ready, it will take the READY line LOW.

On my ST-225, I see the ST-225 take the READY line to LOW very soon after the drive's initialisation/self-test does the final test seek.

Yes. It does go low exactly after the hdd self test (beeps) and it stays low. I would not call the self hdd test fast though. The self hdd test takes about 14 seconds. I have the impression it is longer than it should be?

So the drive responds with "ready" by keeping the 22 pin low, so the self hdd test passes indeed.

I would not call the self hdd test fast though. The self hdd test takes about 14 seconds. I have the impression it is longer than it should be?
    Before the test seeks happen, the spindle has to reach the required speed.

For my ST-225 (spindle stopped), from power-on to the final test seek is close to 20 seconds. Measured twice.

So the drive responds with "ready" by keeping the 22 pin low, so the self hdd test passes indeed.
    For my IBM/Xebec controller (variation #3) and ST-412 combination, if I remove the data cable from the ST-412, there is no 1701 error at system power-on time.

Looking at the source code for the BIOS ROM on variation #3 of the IBM/Xebec controller, the initialisation/test code performs the following steps:

Step 1. Reset the controller card. Retry if required up to 25h times. If that fails, display 1701 then exit.
    Step2. Perform 'controller RAM diagnostics'. If that fails, display 1701 then exit.
    Step3. Perform 'controller internal diagnostics'. If that fails, display 1701 then exit.
    Step4. Reset the controller.
    Step5. Wait for up to 25 seconds for drive 0 to be ready. If not ready by then, display 1701 then exit.
    Step6. 'Recalibrate' drive 0. Controller communicates with the drive to take the heads to cylinder 0. If that fails, display 1701 then exit.
    Step7. 'Set drive parameters'. If that fails, display 1701 then exit.
    Step8. 'Write sector buffer'. If that fails, display 1701 then exit.

The IBM/Xebec controller is only communicating with the drive in steps 5 and 6.

For my IBM/Xebec controller (variation #3), doing some INT13 calls via DEBUG, reveals that the 'recalibrate' operation takes the heads back to cylinder 0 even if the data cable is removed.

(Out of interest, I tried the same on a Longshine LCS-6220 controller. Different behaviour, in that when the data cable was removed, although the heads moved back to cylinder 0, it was done very slowly compared to when the data cable was on. [No time difference for the IBM/Xebec controller].)

Blog Entries

I suspect that the Longshine attempts to determine the seek mode (buffered vs. unbuffered) of the drive. With no data cable, unbuffered has to be the default.

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    For my IBM/Xebec controller (variation #3), doing some INT13 calls via DEBUG, ...
    I put a write-up at [here].

The seek test gives: AX=4000, nothing moves with cable attached.
    The diagnostic gives: AX=0400, nothing moves with cable attached.
    The low level format did move the stepper motor. AX=0200. It seems like 4 movements to the specified cylinder. Recalibrations?

But it is not the data cable...
    Last edited by tonata; September 15th, 2020 at 11:48 AM.