Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Gigabyte/Intel XP Gamer

Blog Entries

XP Gigabyte/Intel Gamer Update

The final assembly was completed this afternoon. A patch cord with an USB adapter to fit the motherboards' old style 9-pin USB header was installed which allowed the 2 front panel USB jacks to connect. Also, a case fan splitter cable was used to bring both PC case fans up as the motherboard only has 1 system fan header as well as one CPU fan header. The system fans have a 'temp sense' line which is controlled through the BIOS. If you desire to have them on all the time, you would need to wire them up directly to the P/S through the 4-pin Molex connectors. This motherboard along with the i7-780 CPU and the Radeon 5850 video card makes for a very smooth XP gaming experience. I can now start loading in all of the XP games and do a little evaluation. I hope to get some pictures up as soon as I can figured out how to reduce my Moto X's camera settings so as not to be rejected by VCF.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

While browsing in GOG last might I found a real XP gem; "Hitman 2: Silent Assassin". Xp games on GOG are becoming rare these days so I went ahead and popped for it.

On my new XP gamer "Bing" is now the browser and it seem to work fine. I've sort of come to the conclusion that whether or not you can log onto GOG depends on your hardware configuration; i.e. the Asus A7 XP project, with the feature limited Sempron 3300, would not let you in, but this box with the i7 & GA-P55M-UD2 on XP hooks right up, lets you log-in and download your game.

"Hitman 2: Silent Assassin" is from 2002 and works on XP, Vista, W7, and W8 but not so well with W10. On W10 it will load but it seems that it will need a lot of tweaks in the compatibility area. At any rate, a very good game was downloaded on a PC running XP which was able to log into GOG.

I'm still at a loss over this 'Bing' browser thing. To reiterate, all I did when setting up the machine was install a XP compatible version of Mozilla and some how or another Bing arrived. It's happened several time before and I haven't been able to figure it out. Be that as it may, it's there, it works, and I'm using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I'm still at a loss over this 'Bing' browser thing. To reiterate, all I did when setting up the machine was install a XP compatible version of Mozilla and some how or another Bing arrived. It's happened several time before and I haven't been able to figure it out. Be that as it may, it's there, it works, and I'm using it.
    Where did you get your Mozilla installer? At some point they were offering a version that was bundled with Bing; check out the following:

https://blogs.bing.com/search/2011/1...efox-with-bing

Here's a quote from that link: "Firefox with Bing offers the latest version of Firefox with Bing set as your home page and the default setting in the search box and AwesomeBar (where you can also type in queries as well as Web addresses). If you already have the latest version of Firefox, then you just need to download the Bing Search for Firefox Add-on to set the same preferences."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkpot View Post
    Where did you get your Mozilla installer? At some point they were offering a version that was bundled with Bing; check out the following:

Here's a quote from that link: "Firefox with Bing offers the latest version of Firefox with Bing set as your home page and the default setting in the search box and AwesomeBar (where you can also type in queries as well as Web addresses). If you already have the latest version of Firefox, then you just need to download the Bing Search for Firefox Add-on to set the same preferences."
    My version of Mozilla is just something I've had archived for a very long time and only use when I'm doing something with XP, maybe version 58, but don't take that to the bank. I've never seen that blog from Mozilla and MS about that little merger but I kind of guessed that's what happen in another thread here on the forum. If you need more info on the version I can look it up. Works great on XP and it kind of tells you that upfront MS denies you any kind of direct support but they sure want you to get used to using Bing. Hey, it works great on my XP and that's always been a thorn since MS pulled the plug on support. Thanks for the info.

Blog Entries

Stinky:

My archive showed that I used Firefox 48 not 58. Unless I missed something, I don't see anywhere on the Bing setup where it gives you a version. I suppose one needs to do some indepth on this to figure out what's going on. As for those folks with 95 & 98; don't know.

Late edit

This the best explanation that I could find:

Last edited by Agent Orange; November 11th, 2020 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post

This the best explanation that I could find:

Um - isn't that the link I pointed you to?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkpot View Post
    Um - isn't that the link I pointed you to?
    Could be but I found it myself. Not much out there on this.

Blog Entries

Today I'm going to install an executable in XP that supposedly emulates some of the DX10 functions found in the Vista version. The program has been around for a while and differs from our Russian friends "Alky" endeavor in that it doesn't require you edit this and that and you can simply uninstall it if you so wish. The program is "DirectX10 RC2 fix 3-Pre-Final.exe". In case I've been sipping too much Kool-Aid on this one, I've already set a restore point just in case something doesn't go right. I'll be using "Crysis" as the test game with Fraps. What I hope to accomplish is a marked increase in FPS and some graphical enhancements with tessellation and such.

Blog Entries

Loaded the RC2_fix and then ran Crysis. Didn't get to deep into the game and only saw @ 117 FPS (same as without) on the first part where the team jumps out of the transport. Need to play with this some more and investigate further.

Blog Entries

Looking at the DXDIAG setup it shows DX10 to be installed, so I'm going to have to take some time and wring this out in order to see what's going on, while bearing in mind that the app is an emulator and not core - I'm not very optimistic as this point.

I was able to sign-in to my GOG account with XP, and I went into my (paid for) Games folder and selected "Quake IV", which GOG had been previously designated as W7. I just wanted to see if XP would work on this site, so I downloaded Q-IV again using the XP gamer, and it did install with a few hiccups at the very beginning and the end. Q-IV is an XP era game but GOG tuned this version for W7 and it runs on both, XP & W7 as I found out. BTW, Q-IV ran at @ 60 fps.

I plan on upgrading the video to a 7970 ASAP. During the initial build I had the 7970 installed and XP would load but no video. Others have had similar results with this particular mobo and video card but were able to getting it running by just swapping PCIe slots. I don't know why I didn't do that in the beginning but I was either in a hurry, or lazy, or both.

Late edit: Q-IV also runs on W10.
    Last edited by Agent Orange; November 17th, 2020 at 08:29 AM.