Image Map Image Map

Thread: Unicomp Ultra CLassic Model-M Keyboard

Default Unicomp Ultra CLassic Model-M Keyboard

So I just got my hands on a brand new Unicomp Model M keyboard and I must say I am in love. I can definetly see why the Model M is such a well loved keyboard. I've never typed so fast and accuratly. Was it worth 106 US though? Yes definetly. Considering a crappy RGB "gaming" keyboard at walmart costs about the same if not more I couldn't be happier with what I purchased. For any of y'all wanting a new Model M keyboard Unicomp does a good job making them.

Blog Entries

Great keyboard you got there, i have been using the same IBM model M for 23 years now, and continues to work like the first day.

Blog Entries

It's just about the only keyboard that I'm comfortable with now. Some of the old Keytronics/Honeywells weren't too bad either, but I've probably got half a dozen of the Ms installed on various systems.

I've yet to find a keyboard that's as comfortable to work with. Many of the newer ones are made to be thin, so key travel is small.

Blog Entries

Didn't Unicomp also make mushy keyboards that looked like model M's but had the cord attached?
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

FWIW there's one on eBay right now for cheap - under $10 including shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/i/264495528044?...YaAmBzEALw_wcB
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    FWIW there's one on eBay right now for cheap - under $10 including shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/i/264495528044?...YaAmBzEALw_wcB
    That listing is just for individual keys.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    That listing is just for individual keys.
    Missed that part but it's a start. Some do need keys.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Didn't Unicomp also make mushy keyboards that looked like model M's but had the cord attached?
    I believe they made some rubber-done ones as well. There are some halfway-decent rubber dome keyboards out there; not as nice as the buckling spring, but considerably cheaper. I use a couple of the IBM IR keyboards on some gear here. Not a bad feel to them--better than most modern ones.

Unicomp is great, but those things can have issues. On my second Ultra-Classic, a couple of keys with stabilizers (backspace, numpad "+") have started sticking when pressed on the "wrong" end. Replacing the keys didn't do the trick so I suppose it's those white plastic barrels.
    int10h.org :: :: :: blog

Blog Entries

I remember pulling out rubber domed Unicomps out of the plastic bins hoping they were model Ms and chucking them back in. I could be picky back then since M's were more common and I had a bunch anyway.

Kind of funny how all the stuff I used to pass on at that recycler is worth some money now.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems