Image Map Image Map

Thread: Seeking User Manual for DR737 Pentium 3 Motherboard

Default Seeking User Manual for DR737 Pentium 3 Motherboard

would like to ask for some help in setting up a Vintage Pentium 3 slot 1 motherboard (MB) that I recently acquired from eBay. I am having problems determining who manufactured this board and where I might acquire a userís manual; I did query the forum and sort of came up dry.

Spec's I got from the MB is as follows:

Model Number: DR737
    Possible Serial Number/version: MB0001111-00213JM01 / E01
    Unknown Number: 9HT00201532 VER E01
    Barcode: 100010194
    BIOS: Presto 2.4

I have included two pictures of the MB with this post. According to what is printed on the MB, the manufacturer could be Micron or BCM or GVC or a Chinese knock off. I don't know which. I asked the seller and he didn't know much either. The MB has a primary AGP 82443BX chip and VGA port embedded with the board as well as 2 PCI slots, a single 16-bit ISA slot, COMM 1 port as well as LPT 1, two USB 1, Midi db15, Line-in, Sound out, and Mic port.

MB was sold to me as Pentium 3 slot 1. I had an older Pentium 3 slot 1 processor that I was going to set up as a helper computer to communicate via serial to my AT&T as well as test out a XT-CF card that I bought from Sergey during the summer to replace my Perstor card and MFM drives. The XT-CF didn't work on the AT&T; it never got past POST whether the BIOS on the card was enabled or not. I wrote Sergey, who thought it was a cold solder joint. I didn't find any using a VOM to test each point. I wanted to test it on this Pentium 3 machine using the 16-bit ISA slot. I plan to boot off 60 GB HD IDE. I don't know what OS to use as yet.

What I really need to know is how to configure for the BUS/CPU speed. There is a set of jumpers on the MB located between external connectors and the CPU capacitors near slot 1. According to what is printed on the MB the JP1 is currently set with pins 1&2 and 7&8 as OFF; pins 3&4 and 5&6 as jumped or ON, which according to the matrix on the MB is set to 4.5, whatever that means. In addition, printed on the MB near the J29 is a listing for Bus Spd, which states 100 MHz represents the jumper at J29 being not jumped or OFF and 66 MB was for jumped or ON. So, I believe the BUS is 100MHz and I am guessing this is for the video bus; I don't know.

There are two DIMM memory slots. Not knowing the memory limits, I acquired two 256 MB DIMMS for the board 100 MHz each. Not having a userís manual hampers my ability to stand up for this machine. Any help that you or your colleges could render would be greatly appreciated.MB4.jpgmicronbcm-dr737-slot-1-system-board.jpg

Motherboard was made by Micron and/or BCMCom, which referred to it as an IN440ZX.

Manual, BIOS, etc. available here:
    http://www.bcmcom.com/tech/IN440ZX/IN440ZX.htm

I'm pretty sure you won't get a 60 GB hard drive recognized by the BIOS, you'll have to use drive overlay software.

Ok, I'll have to consider a smaller hard drive. That is not a problem. Can you please tell me what the 3.0X, 4.5X, and so forth settings are so that I don't overclock the CPU? Are these CPU and BUS speeds or as the link shows CPU and Voltage settings?

You never posted your CPU, I have no idea what CPU you have and can't tell you what to set it to. But setting the bus speed and multipliers is not hard, all Pentium III CPUs have a 100 MHz FSB, or 133 MHz for later parts. And the multipliers are just that... multipliers. 4.0x would be 400 MHz, 4.5x would be 450 MHz, etc.

The only use for the 66 MHz bus speed is for older Pentium II parts, or Celerons. That motherboard apparently accepts up to a 550 MHz CPU.

Intel CPUs since the Pentium have locked multipliers, so you can't get the settings wrong, or the motherboard won't POST, or throw an error when booting and default to some lower speed.

Markings on Pentium III plastic housing as follows:

450/512/100/2.5V S1
    09390200-0231 COSTA RICA
    Intel trademark 98 SL35D

Suspect that the 450 relates to the 4.5 that was discussed earlier. 512 must be memory max with 100 being bus speed and CPU voltage.
    Lower must be a serial number. I guess Intel had operations in Costa Rica in 1998 when this CPU was made.

I am grateful for the help you have given me here.

Quote Originally Posted by alejack12001 View Post
    Markings on Pentium III plastic housing as follows:

450/512/100/2.5V S1
    09390200-0231 COSTA RICA
    Intel trademark 98 SL35D

Suspect that the 450 relates to the 4.5 that was discussed earlier. 512 must be memory max with 100 being bus speed and CPU voltage.
    It's the first PIII CPU. It runs at 450 MHz with a 100 MHz bus speed and 512k of cache. 512 is not the memory capacity spec, that's entirely dependent on the motherboard chipset.

You need to set the multiplier to 4.5x and the bus speed to 100 MHz.