Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old computers to the rescue!

Default Old computers to the rescue!

Here's a screenshot of my Windows 2000 PC (800Mhz AMD Athlon based system) being used now to attend online highschool classes. I've noticed so many people see these old systems as completely useless for actual tasks other than gaming but this simply isn't true. That's honestly what I really like about this forum. Y'all also recognize that old systems are still useful in the practical world.
    onlineschool.JPG

Blog Entries

You're lucky that you could get useful work online with a browser so far backdated.

Of course, there's always Linux, which would have little problem with a machine so recent.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    You're lucky that you could get useful work online with a browser so far backdated.

Of course, there's always Linux, which would have little problem with a machine so recent.
    If I was using a stock install of Windows 2000 I wouldn't be able to use as much of the internet as I do. I have UURollup 11 along with Unofficial Service Pack 5.1 which makes Windows 2000 have around the same software library as Windows XP SP2

But Windows XP still can't run the latest Firefox. The "newest" that I know of that will run is Basilisk for XP. And I just hit an important site today that won't even let me log in unless I'm using the absolutely latest Firefox or Gurgle Crumb.

This is why I hate web crap, HTML, JavaScript and all that. It is like building a skyscraper out of raw sewage.

Blog Entries

OTOH, I think I've got an Athlon system here that runs the latest Firefox just fine on Linux.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

I don't recognize anything I own over 10 years old as useful for anything at all. Most of it doesn't even work. And Athlon based systems are considered off topic for this forum anyway.

Any "serious" involvement I have with anything 10+ is on account of the need to run older software.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    But Windows XP still can't run the latest Firefox. The "newest" that I know of that will run is Basilisk for XP. And I just hit an important site today that won't even let me log in unless I'm using the absolutely latest Firefox or Gurgle Crumb.

This is why I hate web crap, HTML, JavaScript and all that. It is like building a skyscraper out of raw sewage.
    I just installed FireFox 58 on my new XP gamer and it runs okay for occasional downloads and random searches.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    I don't recognize anything I own over 10 years old as useful for anything at all. Most of it doesn't even work. And Athlon based systems are considered off topic for this forum anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabamarebel1861
    ...800Mhz AMD Athlon...
    Just responding to the original post.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

As was I.

Have to attend Google Meets and Zoom meetings (seriously, both of those platforms freaking suck) on my Winblows 10 laptop. Aside from that, I can easily get by with any computer running XP SP3 and Firefox 52.9.0 ESR.

The latest version of Chrome that runs on XP is even more outdated but I don't bother to use that spyware anyway. Opera also works fine for the most part, but some pages like YouTube take a LONG time to load.
    Vintage computer systems and peripherals I'm currently looking for:
    Any 386, 486 or Pentium-based IBM ThinkPad laptop, Any 386, 486 or Pentium-based Compaq LTE or Compaq Contura laptop, Any 8088/8086 or 286-based computer with a 3.5'' 1.44MB floppy drive (laptop or desktop is fine), Any Toshiba Libretto laptop running Windows 95, 98 or 2000, Commodore 1541 disk drive in working condition.

PM me if you are interested in selling any of these items to me. Thanks!