Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to price a IBM PC XT?

Default How to price a IBM PC XT?

Hopefully this is a better forum than the For Sale/Trade forum, but I'm looking for advice on how to price my old IBM PC XT, monitor, keyboard, software & manuals? Last I checked it was running fine, with HDD. Obviously I need to pull it out of storage, set it up, verify it still turns on fine/etc. Get some good photos of everything, the internals, each card, and so on.

I've looked at Ebay, but those prices seem so astronomical, I doubt that's the real market value though, thus me turning to a group of vintage buffs!

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

We're not vintage buffs. We just never figured out how to use windows.

You have to look at SOLD listings. Any idiot can ask a bazillion dollars, but they will never get it.

Off hand, it sounds like you have a good grasp on how to sell it. The key factors are what is installed, and what the condition is. It seems like lately genuine IBM PC/XT/AT computers in good condition have been selling for a good amount of money ($200-$500) depending on what they have with them.

You will want to consider if you want to split the CPU/monitor/keyboard/software/cards in to separate auctions. For a generic IBM PC, that is a reasonable thing to do. (but for proprietary hardware, a system can be useless without some part).

I'd think there would be enough interest that a bid auction would end at whatever a reasonable amount is, but there is always the risk of selling too low.

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    We're not vintage buffs. We just never figured out how to use windows.
    LOL, fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    You have to look at SOLD listings. Any idiot can ask a bazillion dollars, but they will never get it.

Off hand, it sounds like you have a good grasp on how to sell it. The key factors are what is installed, and what the condition is. It seems like lately genuine IBM PC/XT/AT computers in good condition have been selling for a good amount of money ($200-$500) depending on what they have with them.

You will want to consider if you want to split the CPU/monitor/keyboard/software/cards in to separate auctions. For a generic IBM PC, that is a reasonable thing to do. (but for proprietary hardware, a system can be useless without some part).

I'd think there would be enough interest that a bid auction would end at whatever a reasonable amount is, but there is always the risk of selling too low.
    I finally figured out how to look at sold listings, had to do some searches to figure it out, that'll give me a much better idea of what I can start the prices at. And as a complete setup, looks like I can expect a pretty decent price actually. Although I'd rather sell on here to ya'll first, just easier without dealing with ebay and the fees and such.

Also make sure that you know how to pack a CRT monitor correctly. They need to be well supported and double-boxed with packing material between. Otherwise it is very likely that the shipping apes will turn it into junk.
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): Tandy 1000 EX/HX power supply, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules card + mono monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs, 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals, Amiga 2000 or 3000UX

Quote Originally Posted by bladamson View Post
    Also make sure that you know how to pack a CRT monitor correctly. They need to be well supported and double-boxed with packing material between. Otherwise it is very likely that the shipping apes will turn it into junk.
    Thanks for that. I'll investigate to make sure I do it properly! Might have to invest in buying a few cardboard boxes and lots of packing paper. Oh, wait, I've got all these paper bags from grocery store right now. Done! lol.

Blog Entries

Paper is not suitable for cushion on electronics as it will compact and allow things to move and not absorb shock.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

As much as I loathe styrofoam, it's particularly apt for this particular application.

Vast quantities of bubble wrap can work as well.

*facepalm* You're right, thank you.

So multiple layers of cardboard and bubble wrap, with extra around the glass end of any monitors.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drizzt321 View Post
    *facepalm* You're right, thank you.

So multiple layers of cardboard and bubble wrap, with extra around the glass end of any monitors.
    Yes. The idea is to fill the empty space so that the monitor cannot move too much, but not so rigid that the shock gets transferred directly to the plastic or glass.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10