Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to price a IBM PC XT?

The glass end is pretty strong. You want to protect it of course, especially from scratches, but it’s the plastic on monitors that gets destroyed in shipping. I saw someone on Facebook post a photo of how they ship a monitor with pool noodles cut lengthwise to cradle the all of the edges of the monitor. You don’t want too much pressure on the flat parts of the plastic especially on top with all of the vents, because it’s likely to crater.

Quote Originally Posted by jafir View Post
    The glass end is pretty strong. You want to protect it of course, especially from scratches, but it’s the plastic on monitors that gets destroyed in shipping. I saw someone on Facebook post a photo of how they ship a monitor with pool noodles cut lengthwise to cradle the all of the edges of the monitor. You don’t want too much pressure on the flat parts of the plastic especially on top with all of the vents, because it’s likely to crater.
    Put it in a box with plenty of supportive foam padding and bubble wrap. Screw together a simple wooden frame around it out of scrap lumber (junk pallet boards are good/free), this is in case they stack something heavy on top more than for sideways protection. Pack that inside another slightly larger box with packing peanuts or panels cut from foam insulation.

(I didn't know what a pool noodle was. Looks like pipe insulation. Good idea, too.)

Or take it to a UPS or FedEx store and pay them to professionally pack it. They'll box it with bags of expanding foam, then double box it. Shipping monitors right is a pain, but it's better than having to send someone a refund!

Keyboards are another easily damaged item that also ought to be way over padded with layers of large bubble wrap. The small bubble wrap is useless garbage; you might as well wrap something in paper as use that stuff. A lot of the time people will give them a couple wraps of small bubble wrap and throw it on top of everything in the box. Then the shipping monkeys throw a box full of bricks on top of it and it arrives with half the keys broken off.
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): Tandy 1000 EX/HX power supply, box of 8" floppy disks, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules card + mono monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs, 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals, Amiga 2000 or 3000UX

Shipping,
    the thing is to realise how the box is handled the long trip in van's, sorting center etc.
    You pack it in the idea to drop is from at least 3 feet.

A TIP! Close the FFD disks units before shipping, better put a disk in it.
    Than IF it is still running and have a hard disk, look for program PARK DISK.
    Disk heads will be put on a safe place for transport.

You have a nice original setup.
    Hope you'll find some one who will take again lot of care and just have fun with it.

My philosophy is with old stuff I sell, money I don't care much , just a fair price.
    I have more fun with selling to persons that , as me, have fun with it ,than to empty some one
    else his/hers pockets. As I know its just a hobby to spare some time with it.
    And if I want to buy something I also like to be priced fairly.

Its not common of course, but it can be fallen into the wrong hands
    The extreme way : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF_w7uSnOj0

This is the common how normally go
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y5w6wKuZEA

Quote Originally Posted by MauriceH View Post
    Shipping,
    the thing is to realise how the box is handled the long trip in van's, sorting center etc.
    You pack it in the idea to drop is from at least 3 feet.
    Just visualize your box being thrown out of the back of a truck moving 30MPH, and that's a good idea of what kind of environment you're subjecting this to.

Blog Entries

Another real concern is the weight of the boxes that will be stacked on top of it. If your packing can't stand 50+ pounds of pressure, expect a crushed item.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by bladamson View Post
    Or take it to a UPS or FedEx store and pay them to professionally pack it. They'll box it with bags of expanding foam, then double box it. Shipping monitors right is a pain, but it's better than having to send someone a refund!
    A few years ago I shipped a couple of EGA monitors via UPS and used their service to pack them. It cost about $70 extra (each) to do so, but they arrived intact.