Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UPS (power backup) schemes.

I consistently get five years of use out of standard car batteries, in my car(s) that is. Except for one time when one was sitting out during the winter, ran dead, and the electrolyte froze. But even after the point where a battery may not reliably start the car on a sub-zero night, they'll still hold enough charge to run some low wattage electronics for a couple hours.

I will admit to my general ignorance of chemistry, but the massively widespread usage of SLA batteries for security and backup power applications leads me to believe they are indeed the best tool for the job.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bakemono View Post
    I consistently get five years of use out of standard car batteries, in my car(s) that is. Except for one time when one was sitting out during the winter, ran dead, and the electrolyte froze. But even after the point where a battery may not reliably start the car on a sub-zero night, they'll still hold enough charge to run some low wattage electronics for a couple hours.
    I don't think auto batteries get enough credit these days. Case in point; my wife drives a 2019 Mazda CX-9 and that battery takes a beating. When she pulls into the garage and it shuts down, lights come one from everywhere within the car plus the headlights go to high beams. All this seem to last about 20 seconds or so which doesn't really seem like much but it's got to add up. My 2013 Camaro is only used seasonably and is still on it's original battery. Her previous ride was a 2013 Cadillac CTS, which she drove for over 6 years on the original battery. On the other hand, I have 2007 Ranger pickup with about 250,000 miles that I plow about in, and it's on its 3rd battery since I've owned it. The parts outlet that I deal with sent the previous FoMoCo battery back to Ford for some kind of analysis because it wasn't supposed to fail within 9 months of purchase. On a different note, when I was a kid working in a gas station back in the 50's, one of my main functions was to clean-up and spray paint trade-in batteries and then throw a "hot" charge on them.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

As I mentioned, the batteries that I've been using have been SLA AGM ones and I get a couple of years out of them. Seeing as that's roughly the time between power failures here, that's not a going solution.

If I get desperate, I'll transition back to a gas-powered generator.