Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USB internal from GCT-8IT not work

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    You will need a device that has an UHCI transceiver. Many newer (USB 2 or 3) devices don't have the ability to fall back to USB 1 and some that do use the other USB 1 implementation OHCI.
    The UHCI/OHCI split is purely between USB controller and operating system, and has nothing to do with USB device compatibility.

Also, many devices need more power than the early USB ports were provided.
    The 500 mA provided since the dawn of time are adequate vor most devices. Notable exceptions (spinning disks, scanners, etc) should be obvious enough.

Early USB mice, USB floppy drives, and card readers that are limited to 2 GB or lower capacity SD cards have the most chance of being seen with the USB 1 ports.
    Well... you are wrong. All USB keyboards and mice (special gamer stuff excluded) are USB 1 (read: they are low-speed devices), even if used on a USB 3 port. USB floppy and mass storage drives (disks, thumb drives, etc) all work fine on a USB 1 port as well. It has nothing to do with the age of the device. I've been using an old USB 1 hub for a long time.

If the USB device was made before 2000, it has to be using USB 1,x and will have either UHCI or OHCI so it is still possible to find a working USB 1 device that won't work with working USB 1 ports. Some have both UHCI and OHCI support but there is no way I know of to guarantee getting a device with complete USB support. This all makes finding out if a given port works more of a challenge than it should be.
    I would like to see a credible source for these claims, because they sound very wrong to my ears.

You are basically stating that a 10 MBit ISA NE2000 Ethernet card is incompatible with modern routers because no modern router uses ISA or an NE2000 card. Sounds logical, until you realize that you are quoting the wrong standard - the host interface does not matter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by andromeda92 View Post
    i tried ubuntu 5.10 live, everything is recognized, intel usb chipset is recognized, but when i plug in for example a usb stick, it is not recognized,
    nothing happens. I launched the NSSI program, it is identical, everything is recognized at the hardware level ,
    intel 430TX, intel 82371AB / EB / MB PCI to USB Universal Controller etc ...
    That sounds like the port is broken. Fuse blown, wiring incorrect, etc.
    In Linux, run "dmesg" after plugging in your device to see if the hardware detects anything.

For example, run:
    $ dmesg > before
    plug in devive
    $ dmesg > after
    $ diff before after

Then post the output here and I can take a look. It may be a software or driver issue, but that is rather unlikely. It is definitely not an incompatibility between your USB mouse and the UHCI controller.

lspci and lsusb -v can also reveal some info on Linux

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Svenska View Post
    The UHCI/OHCI split is purely between USB controller and operating system, and has nothing to do with USB device compatibility.
    That is incorrect. Devices needed to be tested for both types of controller or they might not work. From USB Complete, 4th edition, page 217

Developers who user UHCI hosts are sometimes surprised when their devices fail when connected to an OHCI host. This failure occurs because the device isn't expecting to see multiple stages of a control transfer in a frame.
    As an example of a USB 3 device that does not work with USB 1 or 2, look at http://www.icron.com/products/icron-...ectra-3001-15/

Early USB ports didn't always follow the standard. An example of this was the front panel USB ports on Compaq systems from before 2000 which only worked with a few devices.

If the device was tested for use with USB 1.1, it is far more likely to work with USB 1.1 ports than a newer device.

That is incorrect. Devices needed to be tested for both types of controller or they might not work. From USB Complete, 4th edition, page 217
    What about all the other USB host controller types, such as the ones used in different microcontrollers? In my understanding, standard-compliant devices should work on all host controller types without any issues. However, I agree that testing is compliant to increase the likelyhood of being compliant in the first place, but the device should definitely not see a difference between UHCI, OHCI or any other type of host controller.

As an example of a USB 3 device that does not work with USB 1 or 2, look at http://www.icron.com/products/icron-...ectra-3001-15/
    USB3 is a special case in multiple ways, so I won't disute that. But USB2 was designed with USB1 compatibility in mind, so incompatibilites between compliant devices should not exist. That said, I am aware that some USB2 devices cannot work with USB1 ports (or hubs) - but in all cases I know of, this is due to the lack of bandwidth rather than a fundamental incompatibility (e.g. realtime audio or video streaming).

Early USB ports didn't always follow the standard. An example of this was the front panel USB ports on Compaq systems from before 2000 which only worked with a few devices.
    That I can agree on. But I have used a USB 1.1 hub for a long time, and not seen issues with USB2 devices.

Anyway, in this case the major issue seems to be the host port rather than the host controller. More logs will provide more information.

on linux, in the dmesg logs the PIIX4 for usb controller is recognized without error, same with lsusb, lshw -short, no error, I tested with a usb flash Voyager 2go usb 1.1, it is not recognized, in / dev I only have hda from the main disk and nothing else, I think it's a bug with this chipset as it says in intel, other controllers work but not with the same reference.

if I have time I will post the dmesg log but everything is normal.

Maybe a wiring issue ??. Though Give this a try if you want, USB Driver Disk, you will need a formatted 1.44 Mb floppy, Boot up via the floppy and choose an option from the menu and once booted run "USB.bat".

Quote Originally Posted by andromeda92 View Post
    on linux, in the dmesg logs the PIIX4 for usb controller is recognized without error, same with lsusb, lshw -short, no error, I tested with a usb flash Voyager 2go usb 1.1, it is not recognized, in / dev I only have hda from the main disk and nothing else, I think it's a bug with this chipset as it says in intel, other controllers work but not with the same reference.

if I have time I will post the dmesg log but everything is normal.
    If you have connected something (mouse/usb stick) to the board, does lsusb -v display anything ?

This is what my laptop lsusb says without anything connected:

Code:
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    and this with a usb numeric keypad and usb memory stick attached:
    Code:
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05a4:9840 Ortek Technology, Inc. 
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0930:6545 Toshiba Corp. Kingston DataTraveler 102/2.0 / HEMA Flash Drive 2 GB / PNY Attache 4GB Stick
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

at the bottom you can download dmesg.log, the lsusb -v log and the lshw -short log.

I plugged an adata usb key on a pci usb2 card so it works correctly, it's normal.

On the internal USB 1.10 port I plugged in a mouse and an old USB key.

In the logs below we can see that the internal USB controller of the 82371AB / EB.MB PUUX4 USB chipset is recognized.

The PS/2 mouse is internal connector from motherboard, it use controller USB internal, this connector (Mini DIN 6) is on the bracket connected withi 4 pin on the motherboard,
    the keyboard is connected to DIN 5 .

dmesg log:
    https://mega.nz/file/LYsEyDAI#CsVk5f...OEvYJwY2NmYmLI

lsusb log:
    https://mega.nz/file/XM1QERaZ#dq9pLW...mz6jbqJEDq4OMQ

lshw log:
    https://mega.nz/file/CcsWhLSK#KwVEJ1...pShnNTQsbwK5Ew

maybe the problem is with the power supply, not enough current
    Last edited by andromeda92; September 26th, 2020 at 02:41 PM.

I have tested with an USB with OLED for voltage.

On a new modern PC i have 5.0 V.

On my GCT-8IT on USB2 port with PCI card, i have 4.90v, when i connect usb data key, i have 4.90V

On internal USB 1.10 i have 4.89V, when i connect USB data key, i have 4.86 V.

May be power supply is poor, i have to test wih the new power supply to see what it gives.
    Last edited by andromeda92; September 26th, 2020 at 03:50 PM.

I tested with a new power supply with stable values of voltable, it still doesn't work, so I deduce that it is either:

a chipset bug as indicated by intel, it was corrected on another version
    or either a newer bios is needed, I only found two bios, the original and a bios evaluation rom not for sale,
    maybe there is another bios for this motherboard.