Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard disk Driver Card WD1002A-WX1 Without Bios

Default Hard disk Driver Card WD1002A-WX1 Without Bios

Have a question.

The WD1002A-WX1 has NO Bios mounted.
    It is never been with a Bios. See picture.

W3 is open, so Bios is Disabled.No jumper can be installed also.
    W7 is hard wired and so IRQ=5

How can I configure it for a XT machine?
    G=C800:5 does not work at debug mode.
    Ofcourse its missing a Bios.

Put it in a 386 machine and HDD Hardware failure
    With Biossetting drive 0 = Type 2
    This 386 has a 8-Bit slot.

To test this set-up I did same with a WD1002S-WX2 card and his working ST-225.
    Pull W3 to setting Disable Bios, and in bios 386 the type 2 (ST-225 setting)
    Again HDD Failure, And that set-up Card and drive work in a XT machine.

How is it with this WD1002A-WX1 card with no bios.
    Where there XT's with its own Harddisk Bios?

20200918_WD1002A-WX1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MauriceH View Post
    Put it in a 386 machine and HDD Hardware failure
    With Biossetting drive 0 = Type 2
    Because you set a type number into the AT's BIOS/CMOS SETUP, the POST went looking for an AT-class MFM controller and drive.

XT-class MFM controllers and AT-class MFM controllers are different. Refer to the diagram at [here].

For an XT-class MFM controller fitted into an AT-class computer, the AT's BIOS/CMOS SETUP would be set so that there is no hard drive (ie. type 0 = there is no AT-class MFM controller and drive that the AT motherboard's BIOS needs to 'manage'). The BIOS on the XT-class MFM controller would be what 'manages' the XT-class MFM controller and drive.

An issue is compatibility (e.g. bus timing), but the Western Digital information at [here] indicates 'AT' compatibility. Supported by the 'XT mode/AT mode' jumper shown at [here]. It is not indicated what the 'XT mode/AT mode' jumper does. Maybe in AT mode, the jumper just puts the controller into 'latch' operation.

You need to find an appropriate BIOS for the card.

How is it with this WD1002A-WX1 card with no bios.
    Where there XT's with its own Harddisk Bios?
    I browsed through my records.

There is an email trail from a member here.
    He had an Olivetti M24, and the M24 contained a DTC 5150BX4 that was missing its BIOS ROM chip.
    After research, he later let me know that on the M24's motherboard, switch 3 on switch bank DIPSW-1 disables/enables an onboard HDD BIOS.

Member SomeGuy made a copy of the BIOS ROM on his WD1002A-WX1.
    That copy is at [here].
    It is an 'F300' version, which means that it has 'dynamic' functionality - see [here].

If you are unable to program a 2764 type EPROM yourself, the people/companies at [here] can provide the service.

Thanks for info and advise.

Modem7
    I put in S1-8 to AT mode, Because there is No Bios original mounted I use the AT-Bios for type setting.
    Also don't get it why the settings S1 1-4 will be needed to identify hard disk settings But used the ST-225 setting any way.

I could indeed put a Eprom in it, no problem. 2764 I have (Don't forget the W3 jumper )
    That way I can test if the card at least work in a XT.

Think It came out of my Unisys 3137 .That uses a Bios setup Disk, I still have that disk, not the pc.
    Just found out that the machine was a 286 pc.
    I'll have to dig out my WANG 286 PC to try if it will work on a 286.

AND Modem7 Thanks for the Bios WD1002S-WX2, Have that Card and That also missed the BIOS.
    That card had already the IC-holder so fitting was no issue.
    Burn that Bios you put on, and Its working perfect.

Now reading the Book: CSC Hard Drive Bible - Edition 8 - 1996.pdf

I'll be back.

I put in S1-8 to AT mode, Because there is No Bios original mounted I use the AT-Bios for type setting.
    Setting the XT/AT jumper to 'AT' does not turn the controller into an AT-class one. We know that because it is not possible for an 8-bit card to generate interrupt 14.

The information at [here] for a different XT-class Western Digital controller, the WD1002-27X, contains "XT Buss Mode" and "AT Buss Mode", so in AT mode, the WD1002-27X must be adjusting things to make the controller better suited to the ISA bus on an AT. The XT/AT jumper on the WD1002A-WX1 is probably the same.

And in another set of WD1002-27X information, at [here], there is some text about operating the WD1002-27X controller (XT-class) in an AT:
    "Drives operating on the WD1002-27X are not programmed into the AT's configuration memory. Therefore, configure the IBM Advanced
    Diagnostic program, Setup, for no(zero) drives and set the controller jumpers as the primary controller (W4:2-3; W8:2-3).
    "

Also don't get it why the settings S1 1-4 will be needed to identify hard disk settings
    When an XT-class hard drive controller is operating in an AT-class computer, the code that controls/manages the attached drive is in the BIOS ROM of the XT-class hard drive controller. That code does not look at the AT's CMOS/BIOS SETUP. I doubt that the code even knows that it is running in an AT-class computer.

Get the WD1002A-WX1 original without Bios, Running.

Put a IC Holder on the PCB and a W3 Jumper.
    First as suggested I burned a 2764 with the Super Bios V2.4.
    The card did a run on the Bios but does not activate the drive it self.
    It hangs on Low-Level-Format and No LED Light or activate of stepper motor.

EDIT:Just realised W5-JUMPER, Bios 32k or 64K ! But that did not solve the problem.

First thought the card was really defect, and does not signal to the drive.

As I have a second WD1002A-WX1 with Bios, a 2732A Rev 6 , I did some
    measurements on Resistor to some components to see if I could find some differences.
    So Found also the cards are not quit the same! Remark f.i. a VALOR DL2879 block.Could not find any thing on that part.
    Then Noticed a difference in Resistor measurement on C26 273 Ohm on the "defective no bios card" and 876 Ohm on the other.

Then I decided to read in the other BIOS and burn a new 2732A to put on the defective card.
    As I don't want to mess up a good working card.
    Well that was the solution!

Card is now perfectly working.
    Conclusion that Super Bios is not quite useful in this WD1002A-WX1.
    I found several differences on the internet with several combinations Bios and VALOR DL2879, also some components as R & C's.

So again as this is working in a XT machine, now the AT 386.
    In Bios 386 disabled all hard drives, Now the WD1002A-WX1 is been recognised and BOOTs the system.
    Jumper S1-8 is NOT set! No AT-mode been used.
    If I set S1-8, card to AT-Mode again no Hard Disk, even the right Type setting in 386 Bios does NOT work.

Hope to others that this will give options on how to get those old MFM-card going.

I have again a presumed defective MFM-card, up and running.
    Its all about settings, jumpers, Bios etc.
    Pictures are still with that Super Bios, But now the REV 6.00 1985 is put on.
    20200920_Bios_62000094032_Ombouw.jpg
    20200920_Bios_62000094032_Ombouw_Rev2.4_Beeld.jpg
    20200920_Bios_Beide_WD1002A-WX1-Verschillen.jpg
    Last edited by MauriceH; September 20th, 2020 at 07:35 AM.

Default WD1002A-WX1 Bios Rev 6.00 1985

@ Modem7

As I did a read of my Bios WD1002A-WX1, I did an upload of this file.
    Rev 6.00 1985 Label is "10/20/30 "
    Feel free to use it on your site, and distribute to others.
    It is a EPROM 2732A Situated to the card edge.
    Pins 3-14/15-26
    Attached inside Zip file also a TXT file with information.

Maurice
    WD1002A-WX1_Bios-REV_6.00_1985.jpg
    BIOS ROM on WD1002A-WX1_REV-6_1985_Type2732A.zip

As I did a read of my Bios WD1002A-WX1, I did an upload of this file.
    Rev 6.00 1985 Label is "10/20/30 "
    Feel free to use it on your site, and distribute to others.
    The revision number of BIOS ROM's that Western Digital use on their XT-class and AT-class hard disk controllers, is a long number, like 62-000042-11 and 62-000215-060 and 62-000089-030. For example, in the OEM manual for the WD1002S-WX2 is, "with 62-000042-12 WD BIOS."

In the code of your BIOS is "WX2 Format Revision 6.0". So, 6.0 will be the revision of the format code only. The Western Digital BIOS ROM that has '62-000042-11' on its sticker is a different ROM to yours (different code), and it also has "WX2 Format Revision 6.0" in it.

'10/20/30' is odd. It is not a date, and not even an abbreviated form of a BIOS revision that Western Digital use for their XT-class and AT-class hard disk controllers. The BIOS may be a user-modified version of a Western Digital BIOS ROM, and "10/20/30" indicates to the user what the modification is.

I will add the BIOS to the collection at [here], against WD1002A-WX1, but I will list the revision as unknown.

Interesting, Just did a quick google and there seem's to be different variations of the WD1002A-WX1 controller, Component count etc, I have the " F300 " version of the WD1002A-WX1, On the printed label it reads " WD1002A-WX1 F300 J " and the Bios ROM is soldered directly onto the PCB. It looks like the last digits are of the BIOS / Revision that will work with the controller.