Image Map Image Map

Thread: Which power supply for this 286 clone MB?

Default Which power supply for this 286 clone MB?

So I got a hold of this no-name 286 MB. Seems to be similar to this one http://www.uncreativelabs.de/th99/m/U-Z/33636.htm

I want to test it out, but then I realized there were no keyed slots in the motherboard power pin sockets like I am used to seeing with AT systems. The board says PS2 near the power connector. Any idea which PS I should try to source or build to connect to this thing? If there is a recommended pinout, maybe I can hack one together out of an ATX PS if I could find the right plugs w/pins.
    MVIMG_20200918_235746_sm.jpg
    MVIMG_20200918_235828_sm.jpg

That's a standard AT power connector. If it's not keyed, connect it so that the black ground wires of P8 and P9 meet in the middle of the connector.

A big one with a Red on/off switch at the side.
    For At better to use a 150W version, to be recognised through 3 or 4 Disk Drive power connectors.
    The 130W , with 2 Disk Drive power connectors can be used but beware not to full fill all option in your PC.

Could be that there are also old small boxed PSU's with those 2 white Mother Board connectors.

Example
    20200919_XT-AT PSU SCHRACK 130W.jpg

Thanks. I ordered one like this just to test it out. I could use a spare anyway. https://smile.amazon.com/ATHENA-SUPP.../dp/B017O243SQ
    I might see if I can still order some of the AT connectors and pins so I can reuse some of my existing power supplies in the future as the AT PSs seem to be getting more and more rare these days.

Beware of the "Power ON".
    That is a signal from MBoard.

You have to manually make that signal.
    On internet lots of idea's how to. - Its easy Just wire Power-ON to GND Ground to start the PSU.
    Green Wire to A Black

An old AT just has only a Power-OK signal. That is to start up the CPU.
    Power-OK is a signal from PSU that al voltages are OK to run the PC safely.

New ATX PSU it is the Gray Wire "Power OK" -check "ATX Pin OUT" google search.
    So must be on your AT connector.
    Pin-Outs are lost of to find..

Check Firmly ! the colour code to voltage on both the connectors.
    1 mistake will definitely ruin your board.

Quote Originally Posted by MauriceH View Post
    Beware of the "Power ON".
    That is a signal from MBoard.
    Thanks! I probably would have put 3.3V on there otherwise. I took the time to trace the power connections from the ISA bus just to make sure my pinout was right. Then I hacked up my old ATX PS and tested it out. I am getting the right voltages, but it doesn't boot up. I will play around with it some more at another time, but at least I got the PS to work. Also, I found these on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/i/233552448781 Would have saved me some time if I was willing to wait for shipping.

This picture from google search would have led me down the wrong path of putting 3.3V on the "Power OK" line.
    atpic.jpg