Image Map Image Map

Thread: I bought a Rexus power supply

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Default I bought a Rexus power supply

It's a unknown brand, I get it. It's intended for use with a Athlon XP/socket 462 motherboard. I'm afraid to plug it in (especially after my dishevelled Tandy 4000 caught on fire earlier). I would like to load test it for, 6 - 12 hours maybe? I could short the 5vdc rail with some kanthal/nichrome wire, a length sufficient to draw 10 amps @ 5vdc. Which means that segment of the wire (in actuality a heating element) would have to be submerged in water LOL. I've done stuff like that before, I likely won't end up in the er. Unless someone can give me a better idea. I'd really like to pull 20 amps for a while, this thing is rated for 40 amps. Help me now please instead of later.

Blog Entries

Well, just get a 0.5 ohm 50W resistor

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aluminum-Re...esistor&sr=8-5

You could use an appropriate heat sink, maybe https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aluminum-He...553662&sr=8-19

or you could blow a fan over it or dunk it in water (and make a nice cup of tea after a while)

You could also put two in parallel for 0.25 ohm, 20A at 100W, but really, do you want to run a PSU at its max output (oops, noted that would be 50% only)

Oh and make sure all the contacts are clean and sound so they dont overheat.,
    Last edited by Gary C; September 19th, 2020 at 02:24 PM.
    Current fleet
    TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - VAX 3100,3300,4000VLC & 4000 Model 96 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - DEC Micro PDP 11/73 - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10 - Alpha server - MicroVax II.

Blog Entries

Globar in a can of mineral oil.

There are still places in NJ where I could get resistors (or maybe). Wanted to get this done over the weekend. Don't really want to send away for that stuff. We'll see.

Blog Entries

Don't you have an old or somewhat useless mobo there about?
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

The only possible but far from ideal candidate is a socket 775 p4 HP dc7600. It's not atx.

Some would say the Foxconn mobo is pretty darn useless . But I'm now 70$ into this project and don't want to blow up the central item if at all possible. I do have a socket 478 ecs mobo, and an ibm netvista 478 board. I torched both of them to remove components LOL and spray painted the ibm white. Think they'll still pull any amps?

I habe become the anti hoarder after so many years. I aspire to live as spartan an existence as possible. Hence I don't have tons of crappola around.