Image Map Image Map

Thread: How to load memory when BX register wraps around in 8088 CPU?

Default How to load memory when BX register wraps around in 8088 CPU?

Hi, I need to code a routine that will load up to 65535 (FFFFh) bytes into memory location pointed by ES:BX. The problem that I'm facing is that I will have to change both ES and BX depending on their values. If ES=0000h and BX=4000h and I want to load FFFFh bytes then I have to modify ES when BX wraps around, but if I only want to load 1000h then I'll be ok if I only increase BX. Is there any addressing mode that will do this for me? or do I have to implement this kind of logic?

This code only works if BX wont wrap around.

Code:
    	 mov ax, 0
    	 mov es, ax
    	 mov bx, 04000h
    	 mov cx, 0ffffh
    	 mov al, 055h
    load_mem:
    	 mov es:[bx], al
    	 inc bx
    	 dec cx
    	 jnz load_mem

Blog Entries

No, you have to modify the segment register. In you case, set ES to 0400h and BX to 0.

It gets a little more involved when you want to store 65,535 bytes on a boundary that doesn't start on a paragraph.

This goes to one of my problems with the 8086 architecture that I complained about in 1980. Manipulating large data structures is painful. On the 68K it's straightforward.

Yes. More generically, the rule to keep in mind is that (ES + BX>>4):0000 points to the same address as ES:BX... as long as the last nybble of BX is 0.

The last time I had to fill some 400K of RAM (*quickly*), in chunks much smaller than 64K, I had my inner loops always assume an offset of 0 and did all arithmetic on the segment register exclusively, outside the loop.

I also feel compelled to point out that your inner load_mem code is, ahem, non-efficient. But you didn't ask, so I'll assume it's just a placeholder for real code.
    int10h.org :: :: :: blog

Blog Entries

When handling large data structures, I find that it's convenient to reduce offsets to <32K; you avoid boundary issues with little additional overhead.

OP: If you want to fill memory fast, consider "rep stos"--and words are faster than bytes.

Hi,

Are you sure you want to copy FFFFh and not 10000h ?

Your code, to write to the Address 4000h in 32bit can be simplified like this:
    Code:
    	 mov ax,00400h
    	 mov es, ax
    	 xor di,di
             mov cx,4000h
    	 mov eax, 055555555h
             rep stosd
    But of course, it need to be cut in 2 "rep stosb" if the @ is not aligned to a 16 byte bloc