Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PS/2 Model 30 8086 BIOS dump?

Quote Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
    Here is a more complete list of BIOS versions on Model 30:

FRU 68X1627/87: 09/02/1986. Revision 00
    It would seem this revision is actually 68X1645+68X1693, based on the text inside the .BIN files hosted at http://ibmmuseum.com/BIOS/8530/.

This forum post dated 2017 comes up for a Google search for "68X1645" "68X1693" with a reference to U20 and U17 as well: https://www.oldcomp.cz/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=5582. Nothing at all comes up for "68X1627" "68X1687" (other than our own forum post here).

By the way, thanks for your work in getting these ROMs archived and available.

Quote Originally Posted by MennoJoshua View Post
    My personal agenda is to build a PS/2 Model 25/30 emulator, specifically, an MCGA emulator, probably inside the framework of pcjs.org. My goal of disassembly of the ROM BIOS is to get a better understanding of how the MCGA works, at least in text mode.
    Most of that should be documented in the tech refs, but the reason I asked also happens to be MCGA-related.

Specifically... the tech refs only document two different types of monitor being supported - "Analog Color Display" and "Analog Monochrome Display", both VGA-type (corresponding to "01" and "10" respectively in the "Display Sense Register" index).
    However, it appears that "00" is also supported (although it's listed as "Reserved"), and that it probably indicates a 200-line (15 kHz) monitor of some kind.

Some unofficial docs e.g. HelpPC claim that this is for "digital color", i.e. plain CGA. But following some discussion on another forum, that MAY not be true after all. I'm rather curious to know what kind of undocumented MCGA feature we have here.
    int10h.org :: :: :: blog

Quote Originally Posted by VileR View Post
    Most of that should be documented in the tech refs, but the reason I asked also happens to be MCGA-related.

Specifically... the tech refs only document two different types of monitor being supported - "Analog Color Display" and "Analog Monochrome Display", both VGA-type (corresponding to "01" and "10" respectively in the "Display Sense Register" index).
    However, it appears that "00" is also supported (although it's listed as "Reserved"), and that it probably indicates a 200-line (15 kHz) monitor of some kind.

Some unofficial docs e.g. HelpPC claim that this is for "digital color", i.e. plain CGA. But following some discussion on another forum, that MAY not be true after all. I'm rather curious to know what kind of undocumented MCGA feature we have here.
    Can confirm, if you don't ground any of the mode sense pins, MCGA goes into 15KHz RGB mode and is NTSC compatible. I verified it on my Sony PVM.
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

"I'm looking for the BIOS of IBM PS/2 8525 286"

The Model 25 286 and Model 30 286 share the same planars (plural): A "Type 1" (distinguished by a single 40-pin EPROM) and "Type 2" (the two 27256 we are used to). The same BIOS versions exist in both EPROM styles. Even though the "Type 2" rotates the CPU orientation by 90 degrees, the same Kingston 'LEM' "SX Now!" upgrade works on either planar.
    Disclaimer: The username IBMMuseum and domain IBMMuseum.com are not affiliated with IBM in any manner

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    Can confirm, if you don't ground any of the mode sense pins, MCGA goes into 15KHz RGB mode and is NTSC compatible. I verified it on my Sony PVM.
    Thanks, that was more or less the suspicion. So, MCGA *does* have something to show for itself that VGA can't.

I'd assume that mode 13h runs as expected on that monitor, just without the double-scanning. If so, that would be the only IBM display standard that supports 256-color 15 kHz analog RGB. What made them so cagey about it is anyone's guess...
    int10h.org :: :: :: blog

On a similar note:

Is there a way to talk an MCGA into displaying a 640x200 16-color mode?
    The horizontal resolution is there, the bandwidth is there, but it is not officially supported.
    Has anyone found a way to do it, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by VileR View Post
    Thanks, that was more or less the suspicion. So, MCGA *does* have something to show for itself that VGA can't.

I'd assume that mode 13h runs as expected on that monitor, just without the double-scanning. If so, that would be the only IBM display standard that supports 256-color 15 kHz analog RGB. What made them so cagey about it is anyone's guess...
    In my experimenting it depends. Mode 13h depending on the game either stays in 15.6KHz, but some also switch it to 31.46KHz (These rates are from my oscilloscopes frequency counter, so it might be accurate or off slightly, but being a Tektronix from the 80's that hasn't been serviced in a long while, who knows.)
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

Quote Originally Posted by fs5500 View Post

2) 8530 (CPU : 80286)

08/25/88
    06/28/89

I'm looking for the BIOS of IBM PS/2 8525 286.
    Do you still need any BIOS dumps with the information that the Model 25 286 and Model 30 286 share planars and BIOS versions? I have the 08/25/1988 version "Type 2" planar pair (30F9579/80) and can dump the 06/28/1989 (which is revision '02') from a "Type 1" (single 40-pin EPROM).
    Disclaimer: The username IBMMuseum and domain IBMMuseum.com are not affiliated with IBM in any manner

@IBMMuseum

If you do so, I'll appreciate you.
    I can check and verify it.

Also I'm looking for IBM PS/2 8525 Model 286 and IBM PS/2 8560 (80286) BIOS ROM Images.

Quote Originally Posted by fs5500 View Post
    @IBMMuseum

If you do so, I'll appreciate you.
    I can check and verify it.

Also I'm looking for IBM PS/2 8525 Model 286 and IBM PS/2 8560 (80286) BIOS ROM Images.
    Again, the Model 25 286 (your "8525 286") shares the same planar with the Model 30 286 - I need to look through my systems for a sampling of the "Type 2" planars (two 27x256 EPROMs for BIOS. I'm getting the "Type 1" (a single 40-pin EPROM for BIOS) versions up now.