Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ack! What did I do to my 5150?

Default Ack! What did I do to my 5150?

My 5150 was working swimmingly... but I don't know what happened!

When I try to boot with the XT-CF and XT FULL RAM card - the PC seemingly does not recognize either of them and just boots to PC DOS.

When I try to boot with the XT FULL RAM card removed - the XT-CF card is recognized but just freezes at Booting C:.

the video card is: Quadram Quadcolor I (CGA)

As far as I can tell, all my switch settings should be correct (click image to enlarge).

Argh! What did I do?! Any advice is appreciated, thank you for your time and help!

C Boot fails probably due to the lack off memory.

Think if you just put a blank BOOT in A:
    That is just a DOS disk without any drivers loaded.
    See if Dos boot's.

Than if you can reach the C drive try rename Autoexec.BAT to Autoexec.bak
    and Rename Config.sys to Config.bak
    So just a blank DOS boot.
    See if that will start.

Than step up with loading essential drivers one by one.

Or
    Put a advanced IBM test diskette and first test Memory MBoard.

Quote Originally Posted by phonophan View Post
    My 5150 was working swimmingly... but I don't know what happened!

When I try to boot with the XT-CF and XT FULL RAM card - the PC seemingly does not recognize either of them and just boots to PC DOS.

When I try to boot with the XT FULL RAM card removed - the XT-CF card is recognized but just freezes at Booting C:.
    Sorry, I meant to say boots to BASIC. So...

XT-CF + XT FULL RAM = computer seems to ignore them altogether and boots to IBM PC BASIC

XT-CF ALONE (XT FULL RAM REMOVED) = computer recognizes XT-CF and gets caught at Booting C:

How much ram is on the motherboard?

What version of DOS are you trying to boot?

Quote Originally Posted by phonophan View Post
    DISREGARD, OK... I don't know how this happened... in that original picture, you can see the "disable" pins somehow got all bent out of wack.

Bent them back and everything is working fine! \_(ツ)_/

Blog Entries

Actually, that original picture is so low-res, we did NOT see any pins bent.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Regarding your graphics card:

If you own or ever get hold of the matching Quadcolor II daughter board for your Quadcolor I, that thing has a 640x200 16-color mode that is almost identical to the 640x200 16-color mode of later Tandy models.
    This meas that existing software and drivers could be patched with relatively little effort.

Blog Entries

...if the programming information could be found. There's a thread on this forum that discusses the Quadcolor, but we weren't able to find programming info. I suppose we could try to RE the Dr. Halo II driver.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    ...if the programming information could be found. There's a thread on this forum that discusses the Quadcolor, but we weren't able to find programming info. I suppose we could try to RE the Dr. Halo II driver.
    Interesting.

I guess that the people in that thread either succeeded, eventually, or that someone else made the manuals available in the meantime.
    The Quadram Quadcolor driver pack over at WinWorld contains the scanned manuals for both, the Quadcolor I and the Quadcolor II.

Found the thread: Quadram Quadcolor II software & docs wanted
    Now I'm kind of surprised that you didn't know about the manuals.