Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony SDT-9000 DDS SCSI Tape Drive & Windows 98

Default Sony SDT-9000 DDS SCSI Tape Drive & Windows 98

I have connected up an SDT-9000 DDS Tape drive to my Pentium II windows machine but Microsoft Backup is not seeing it. Does this drive not work with the Microsoft Backup tools? Is there another backup tool I should download? I've tried going to the Sony website to download tools/drivers but all the links are redirecting to some other storage site... Not sure what happened but I'm guessing they no longer host the files. I've posted the link via the Wayback Machine for reference:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160416...com/product/17

Thanks for any advice. FYI, Windows 98 recognized the drive upon installation and claims to have automatically installed drivers for it. It is showing up properly in device manager.

Blog Entries

It should--I've got an SDT9000 and I don't recall any problems under Win98SE (or Win2k).

You did read this didn't you?

Blog Entries

Generally for Windows Backup to see the drive it needs to have a drive configured and show up in device manager.

Third party backup software tends to have its own drivers.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

The SDT9000 should be recognized as a generic SCSI tape drive by Win98.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Generally for Windows Backup to see the drive it needs to have a drive configured and show up in device manager.

Third party backup software tends to have its own drivers.
    It is showing up correctly in device manager, however, it does not show up in the list of devices in Windows Backup. Could something else be wrong? Could my SCSI controller be causing problems? It is an Adaptec 29160N. I was able to get the official drivers for that adaptor on Adaptec's website with no problems. In addition, my tape drive is set to SCSI device 0 and it is terminated properly (I set the jumper pins to "TERMINATOR ENABLE" and "TERM. POWER ON" on the drive.) Let me know if I should check for anything else.

SDT-9000.jpg

Blog Entries

If you'd like, I can dig my SDT9000 out from the pile and give it a go with Win98SE (I don't have any systems currently loaded with the first edition of Win98--too many issues) and an Adaptec 2940. Or you can use a third-party backup tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    If you'd like, I can dig my SDT9000 out from the pile and give it a go with Win98SE (I don't have any systems currently loaded with the first edition of Win98--too many issues) and an Adaptec 2940. Or you can use a third-party backup tool.
    I'd really appreciate that if you could do it! Let me know how it goes.

Blog Entries

Meh, I've got a bunch of DDS drives, all external. I grabbed an SDT-5000 to try, as it's a plain 50-pin interface. Win98SE says I need a driver for it. XP sees it without comment, but XP backup apparently doesn't use tape drives--I'd have to go back to 2K, but that's not what you're running. I don't have to tell you about the adware, trojans, etc. on the web when it comes to drivers. Linux says "no problem, it's a tape drive".

Is it that you want to use the SDT-9000 on any backup package, or MSBackup on Win98 specifically?

I don't need to use MSBackup. Would you be able to recommend a backup software out there that might be compatible?

Blog Entries

I've got a bunch--does it have to be Win98? Will Win2K, Linux or XP work also?