Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you call these female connectors?

Blog Entries

The problem with the English is that they have no respect for tradition.

Ordinatum est quod tria grana ordei sicca et rotunda faciunt pollicem, et duodecim pollices faciunt pedem, tres pedes faciunt ulnam, quinque ulne et dimidia faciunt perticam, et quadraginta pertice in longitudine, et quatuor in latitudine, faciunt unam acram.
    - Compositio Ulnarum et Perticarum, ca. 1300 (Henry III)

FWIW, British and US shoe sizes are based on the barleycorn. With the New Pence, it was downhill all the way...

Metric makes sense to me when working with nuts and bolts but for longer measures like distance Im completely lost. Thats what you get when they train you on one set of rules in a lifetime. Same as Celsius. When were in Europe visiting my wifes family I watch the weather and I am just lost. Ill admit, its not granular enough when it comes to temperatures. But on paper it makes perfect sense and Fahrenheit is really ridiculous..... going back to my second statement again.

[QUOTE=Chuck(G);637529]The problem with the English is that they have no respect for tradition.

- Compositio Ulnarum et Perticarum, ca. 1300 (Henry III)

I think back to a 30 year old simpsons episode where grandpa simpson complained... " My car gets 13 rods to the hogs head and thats the way I like it!!" Thanks to trapper-keeper I know exactly what those useless degrees of measure mean...
    Even knots are stupid.. I was in the NAVY and I know its adopted worldwide as speed measurement at sea but it was based on sailing masted ships dropping lines of rope in the water behind the ship and counting the distance between knots on the rope to gauge speed... and were still using that...

Blog Entries

Well, some units make sense. For example, the nautical mile differs from the statute mile because the former is defined as one minute of latitude, versus the latter, which goes back to the barleycorn thing. Obviously, if you're sailing on a ship, your access to dry and round barleycorns is pretty limited, particularly if you're navigating by the stars.

The nautical mile is larger than the statute, so 26 kt is about 30 mph.

Blog Entries

We have actually made it illegal for retailers to sell by imperial measurements, there were a few die hard's sticking to lb oz and pints but its so much easier adding up in 10's rather than 12's. What on earth was that actually all about

And why different thread sizes on PC disk drives and cases, stick to one !

And after that just noticed that the pitch on the edge connectors in an MZ80 interface unit is 0.125" (but I suppose thou is decimal inches !)

I do know when we looked at building a Westinghouse PWR, the fact everything was in imperial was a significant sticking point. Accumulated tolerance errors could have meant we ended up with the turbine in the sea.
    Current fleet
    TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - VAX 3100,3300,4000VLC & 4000 Model 96 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - DEC Micro PDP 11/73 - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10 - AlphaServer DS10 - AlphaStation 225 - MicroVax II.

Gary C I was quite impress flying over Britain and seeing that giant square of wind turbines in the ocean. I guess others felt the same way as they installed some next to Block Island here in the north east... that stirred up quite a controversy.

So No more Pints of Beer than? Really? Last Time I was in London they still had Pints and half Pints.... Reminds me of that 1984 reference where the old man wants a pint and the younger barman doesn't know what that is and demands he buy a litre.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Gary C I was quite impress flying over Britain and seeing that giant square of wind turbines in the ocean. I guess others felt the same way as they installed some next to Block Island here in the north east... that stirred up quite a controversy.

So No more Pints of Beer than? Really? Last Time I was in London they still had Pints and half Pints.... Reminds me of that 1984 reference where the old man wants a pint and the younger barman doesn't know what that is and demands he buy a litre.
    Hum

YOur right, you can still order beer as a pint.

Its stuff like flour and milk.

Now I think of it, its odd that somethings are illegal to sell in imperial, but pints still exist. Bonkers.

EDIT

The weights and measures act states

You must use metric measurements (grams, kilograms, millilitres or litres) when selling packaged or loose goods in England, Scotland or Wales.

except for

draught beer or cider by pint
    milk in returnable containers by pint
    precious metals by troy ounce

As I said, bonkers.
    Current fleet
    TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - VAX 3100,3300,4000VLC & 4000 Model 96 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - DEC Micro PDP 11/73 - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10 - AlphaServer DS10 - AlphaStation 225 - MicroVax II.

You can buy me 0.568261 litres of beer next time we meet each other !

Dave

Blog Entries

Yes, but a UK pint is 568 ml, while a US pint is 473 ml. Just trying to muddy the waters

I thought that the £sd system was a great way to encourage mental arithmetic. How many of the under-20 crowd could tell you how many tanners to a guinea?

Blog Entries

Lest ye forget, a radar mile is 6000 feet. Who thunk that one up?
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Largely hoary old WWII-era convention of convenience. 1 data mile ~~= 12 microseconds. So less than a nautical mile (by about 1 percent), but more than a statute mile.